Picture vanished

Yaron Harel

Hello all

we are working with 5D/7D install on MovieTube rig monitored via two format converters HDMI to HD-SDI and then HD-SDI to composite,at the moment the cinematographer start to record the picture is vanished from the monitors, is it some wrong setting on the camera or there is nothing to do about it.

thanks, Yaron.

• Premium Member

I thought you can't have both an image on the camera's LCD and one to an external monitor at the same time with these DSLR's -- by which I mean that if the operator has a picture, someone else can't as well. Unless you are talking about daisy-chaining from a monitor on the camera to a second monitor, in which case the fact that the monitor signal drops to 480P on the 5D during record may have something to do with the problem.

Thank you Stephen and David,

I'll try to explain it in better way, the problem occurred just when we shoot on Canon D5, the camera is connected through the HDMI connector to converter that convert from HDMI to SDI from the converter we stream it to another converter that convert it once more to composite so we can steam it to the viewfinder and from the SDI converter we stream it to SDI monitors, the picture on the camera LCD is cut at the moment we connect the HDMI and that is all right, the problem occurred only on D5 and on record, while pausing the picture is appear again, I think that Stephen's answer is close that the converters isn't fast enough to process such information capacity.

Nice day, Yaron.

the 5d drop the rez to 480p when you start to record this is why the converter can't handle it

this will not happen with 7d as it keep it's 1080p signal

with the movie tube rig there is no need to work with hdmi-sdi convertor with the 5d it's better to work with the sd system that the rig has

just make sure to double check the focus on the camera LCD :)