First Eyemo Test

Will Montgomery

• Premium Member

Posting this here because it's technically 35mm but it is more of a "home movie" type test... by no means a well-shot camera test... just fun.

1940's era Eyemo 35mm movie camera with stock Eymax 25mm lens. Shot on out-of-date Kodak Double-X black & white negative stock.

After shooting 16mm for years, I notice edge details and a general sharpness that was unexpected with such a cheap fixed focus lens. The corners show distortion and blur almost like a Holga plastic lens would show, but the center is noticeably sharper to me than most of my 16mm work.

I have no viewfinder lenses for this camera so I just point it in the general direction of what I want to film and hope for the best.

Transferred on a Spirit to ProRes HQ 1920x1080 by &Transfer. No grain reduction used.

EYEMO TEST FOOTAGE

• Premium Member

Good on you Will, I like a man who shoots home movies on 35mm just for fun. B)

I'm planning to shoot my own 35mm home movie on a 1927 Zeiss Ikon Kinamo, once I've finished servicing it. It only takes 80' at a time, which is probably for the best considering my bank balance.

One of the benefits of larger formats is that the lens resolving ability doesn't need to be as great as it does to achieve a similar sharpness on smaller gauges. Hence the stock Eyemax lens looking sharper than some of your 16mm work (at least in the centre). Those old Eyemos could be quite steady too, in terms of registration.

• Site Sponsor

All of the timelapse in this piece was shot with my Eyemo and Nikkors but I used the eyemo with a 25mm Eyemax lens before I rebuilt it and the footage was great. We shot in a Soviet Juliett class submarine for a feature I will have to put some of that film on Vimeo because it looks great.

http://www.vimeo.com/16141348

-Rob-

• Premium Member

Another advantage to that lens is it's simplicity. I can see how it was perfect on the battleground where focus was secondary to staying alive.

Robert, do you usually stay with wider lenses for that camera to avoid the critical focus issues?

• Site Sponsor

Another advantage to that lens is it's simplicity. I can see how it was perfect on the battleground where focus was secondary to staying alive.

Robert, do you usually stay with wider lenses for that camera to avoid the critical focus issues?

I have a 8mm, 18mm, 28mm, 105mm set for the Eyemo but for much of the landscape and construction work I have been using it for I tend to shoot wide.

-Rob-