Anyone recognize this 35mm movement?

Patrick Neary

• Premium Member

Wouldn’t say optical printer because they almost invariably employ fixed pin movements. The solid cast pieces seem to be likely of, like you presume, eastern provenance. Feed and take up rollers integrated into the movement could be the key component to find the counterpart. Maybe a czech construction ?

You might take a screw or two out, and see if they're metric or inch....

-- J.S.

I can't, I wasn't the one who shelled out $15 for all 6 of them! :)

I was just curious, not having seen that particular movement before. My guess is similar to Simon's. it has a very rough look, quite different than the polished, refined engineering of something like a Mitchell or B&H.

You'r OK for spares, then.

They do have the loook of the tractor to them.

which makes it very likely they were made in a former Warsaw country.

if that's the case, while the design may be rough, and the parts aesthetically unappealing, they should be quite durable and almlst appear over-engineered, mechanically speaking.

• 1 year later...

Cunningham built a field camera for WWII with this movement.

The frame you see is magnesium i think, a very stable and well understood method of casting camera parts. The green coating seams fairly hard, the steel inserts help lessen wear. Most field equipment is not built for a long life, go figure.

Registration pins are big on one side, tall on the other side. The cams allow for 120degree shutter at best.

But, war is conducted in natural light for the most part. Gandhi (NOT a war flick) was shot in natural light. Shutter timing was so small that the strobeng made me nauseous.

My father said the 35mm Cunningham were not well liked because of the rifle stock design, nice cameraman would get shot at.

I built this moment into a couple of small "motion controlled" boxes for special uses, one was taking 100,000 frames of the ass end of a model KC135. The result was transferred to two huge magnetic disk, alternating the read heads for a flight simulator of Air Force refueling.

I also built an overhead 20foot x 5foot motor controlled track with this movement at the end of a 3 inch tube for tabletop photography, competing with Kenworthy's AO optical system.