New 2010 Show Reel

Ian Jackson

• 2 months later...

Hey, I really liked this. Lots of dramatic action & emotion in a short span of time. Also nice that it shows both good coverage and the ability to tell a story in a single shot. The lighting in general is excellent for this type of material, simple but purposeful-- especially at 0:10 and 0:37.

The only shots I don't like are the two that start at 0:20. They just don't convince me as night shots; the blue fill doesn't seem justified, and we see too much background, it feels staged. Seeing the scene through some foreground, or better use of shadows may have helped. Compare to your other night shots going for a similar feel at 0:57, which I think are much better: kinetic camerawork, and we see just enough background to give texture while preserving a sense of darkness. Feels real to me, despite the dramatic lighting.

Anyway, neat stuff!

Derek,

Many thanks for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated. I can agree maybe shooting through some foreground could have helped break up the negative space, maybe tracking past and through some objects.

Again, thanks for the creative feedback.

Ian