Need Advice - Rent or Buy

I'm getting ready to shoot a short film and my budget is 3K. Should I spend this money and buy 5D/7D or rent a camera for the short? Would it make sense to buy it and use it for other project later on meaning invest in a camera ? The rental fee for these camera kit is ~ $700 (from du-all camera) and I would need it for one day shoot.

• Premium Member

That sounds like a lot of money for a one day rental on a 5D. Given your budget, you might be able to find someone who owns a Red, and get both the camera and owner/operator for the day. There are lots of them out there, so there are lots of chances to find a good fit for your project.

-- J.S.

I'd check around for a better rental rate, or (as mentioned) strike a deal with a DP with kit wanting to shoot a short. I doubt your budget wouldn't cover the cost of buying the camera, shooting a film is a bit like opening a large hole in the bottom of carefully filled financial tank, the budget goes extremely quickly. Buying a camera could compromise the production values of the film.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have some time to make the movie, as in a couple of months, look in to the community media stations in your area. They’re state-funded studios that will let you rent their equipment for free, provided you take their training courses. I rent from a studio that has cameras more costly than my education, and I don’t spend a dime to check them out. And they don’t screen for content, or bug you about deadlines, or care what becomes of your work after it airs on their stations. It’s a super-effective way to make a low-budget, non-union movie.

Thanks Stephen, good info.

I checked with local community media center and found out that once you become a producer by taking a few courses they offer you can take out equipment to either produce shows for the local community channels or for your own production.

The only thing is that they do not have high end gears as in red one for example. There is a reference to Cannon XL-1s on their web site. Regardless, this would be a good place to start and I plan on attending orientation to get to know more on what they have to offer.

Raj