FILM GRAIN

James Taylor

I have a background in still photography and love kodak's Tri. X 400 film. So, I like a certain amount of grain. I realise that the manufacturers of film stock endeavour to eliminate the visibility of grain but as with the Tri.x still stock, are there any 35mm (colour) motion picture films which have a grain to them, ideally, having low contrast and soft coloration too. I'm guessing the 'T' series is a no-go as this seems to be the case with the stills stocks I've used? Would appreciate some help here as kodak themselves are disinclined to admit to any visible grain - seems to run contrary to their values.

Thanks.

If you like grain, have you considered shooting S16 instead? More expensive approach would be to shoot '19 and push it. High speed film stocks can still be plenty grainy. Remember you're working with an image area, in 35mm, that is 3/8 to 1/2 the size of a 35mm still (3- or 4 perforations per frame vs. 8).

If you like grain, have you considered shooting S16 instead? More expensive approach would be to shoot '19 and push it. High speed film stocks can still be plenty grainy. Remember you're working with an image area, in 35mm, that is 3/8 to 1/2 the size of a 35mm still (3- or 4 perforations per frame vs. 8).

Thanks for that. I'd rather not shoot super 16 at moment because I want to take full advantage of student discounts on 35mm stock - won't last forever. When you say high speed stock did you have a particular one in mind? How fast are we talking? Also, would pushing greatly compromise the shadow detail?

Thanks

Yes, fast or high speed (200 ASA +) 16mm negative stocks will be plenty grainy, low contrast and with (generally) soft tonality, more or less depending on the brand and type of stock. If you really like grain, I still wouldn't push fast Vision 2 or Fuji Eterna 16mm speed stocks without doing a test first. They can get plenty grainy as is. Cheaper than shooting 35mm, but with obvious differences due to the smaller picture area: less resolution and more depth of field compared to 35mm on both counts.

Hi James,

If you're set on shooting 35mm, perhaps look into:

Kodak Vision-2 500T Expression (5229) or Fuji Reala Eterna 500D (8592).

I have not shot either of these stocks on 35mm but from that I've read, they're about as grainy as you can go. I believe 500T Expression was used for "You, the Living", which is extremely low-con + grainy (

).

I vaguely recall reading that "Juno" was shot on 500D.

Best of luck with your shoot!

Ed

Hi James,

If you're set on shooting 35mm, perhaps look into:

Kodak Vision-2 500T Expression (5229) or Fuji Reala Eterna 500D (8592).

I have not shot either of these stocks on 35mm but from that I've read, they're about as grainy as you can go. I believe 500T Expression was used for "You, the Living", which is extremely low-con + grainy (

).

I vaguely recall reading that "Juno" was shot on 500D.

Best of luck with your shoot!

Ed

Thanks very much for that info, the examples are v. helpful. You know, I haven't seen "You, The Living" but will soon -it looks interesting. From what I can see online the grain looks right and the colours and contrast nice and soft. It's funny because I intend to apply this look to fairly long and static takes as well so a great example for me to look at. Cheers.

James.