Best cinematography in a documentary?

Maximilian Schmige

Hi folks!

I was wondering if anyone knows of any documentaries with award winning cinematography? Looking for compelling documentaries that showcase extraordinary cinematography above and beyond the usual.

Has a cinematographer ever won the academy award with a documentary?

Looking forward to all the great responses!

"Crumb" by Zwigoff is beautifully shot and belies its extreme low budget origins. The new Criterion blu-ray is a must. Also, I'd mention Ken Burns. He does his own cinematography, but doesn't get a lot of credit since his films are seen as relying heavily on archival mediums. But he does utilize a fair bit of original material, mainly location footage and first person "talking head" interviews, and these scenes are stunning...his composition is almost Fordian in its precision, and his interviews are the most simple yet exquisite I've ever seen. And, he's one of the few non-fiction filmmakers who still utilizes 16mm for the footage he generates for a picture, so that's worth some bonus points.

• Upvote 1

I've always loved the look of The Thin Blue Line.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thin_Blue_Line_(documentary)

Awards

The Thin Blue Line won Best Documentary honors from the New York Film Critics Circle, the Kansas City Film Critics Circle, the National Board of Review, and the National Society of Film Critics.[21] Morris himself won an International Documentary Association Award, an Edgar Award, and a MacArthur Fellowship Genius Grant (1989).[22][23] The film was marketed as "nonfiction" rather than as a documentary which disqualified it from being considered in that category for an Academy Award.[7]

Oh Brian, how could I forget Errol Morris! Yes his films too have some of the most stunning visuals...his films are enough to make you wonder what he would craft directing a fiction film, or working as a DP. Either way, I'm sure it'd be amazing.

• Upvote 1

Not a "documentary" in the classic sense, but none the less a fabulous piece of documentary filmmaking is This American Life TV series episode John Smith. I was blown away!

I thought this looked amazing: Kassim the Dream

Kassim was kidnapped and forced to be a child soldier in Uganda. He defected when he came to the US with a military boxing team for a competition and went on to be come a world champion boxer.

Ron Fricke's photography in Koyaanisqatsi and Baraka is stunning. Easily the best I've seen in a documentary.

Oh yes! A few years back I saw a brand new 70mm print, struck from the OCN. Absolutely mind blowing. Easily in the top two or three movie going experiences of my life.

I had seen Baraka and Errol Morris films. Truly amazing works. Outside of Baraka, I feel like a lot of documentaries such as by Errol Morris rely on amazing subject matter and editing. I am looking for more films along the line of truly amazing visuals and visual storytelling.

I'll look into the other films mentions. Thank you for all the recommendations!

• 1 month later...
Guest Kevin Thomas

If you are looking for extraordinary cinematography above and beyond the usual then Peter Greenaway's Rembrandt's J'Accuse is an excellent example. There is a short clip on YouTube:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Thank you Henry!

Never heard of this! what a joy to watch! typical Storaro completely captures the heart of Flamenco.

small venue atmosphere on a large stage it is beautifully lit, performed, and directed.

This will take some beating!

• 1 month later...

Hi folks!

I was wondering if anyone knows of any documentaries with award winning cinematography? Looking for compelling documentaries that showcase extraordinary cinematography above and beyond the usual.

Has a cinematographer ever won the academy award with a documentary?

Looking forward to all the great responses!

The Man Who Skied Down Everest

Absolutely stunning cinematography.