Best cinematography in a documentary?

Maximilian Schmige

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Many National Geographic wildlife documentaries feature stunning photography. Particularly the one hour specials. Dereck Joubert has done some great work in some of these films. The slow motion footage of a Basilisk lizard running across the surface of water in the Nat Geo film 'Rainforest' is simply mesmorising. And a beautiful underwater Nat Geo film worth checking out is 'Jewels of the Carribean.'

The IMAX documantaries are also worth mentioning. 'Everest' is one of my favourites - that looked stunning on the big screen.

Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

I promise, you have never seen a football match shot like this. It's Darius Khondji, in the end of the day.

Not really a good example I think.. this is down to the editors.. there were probably 20 camera,s shooting the game.. with Khondji having little input except maybe choosing those

camera op,s and post production grading.. looks great though ofcourse ..

• 3 weeks later...

How about ‘A Shift in Perception’, a super 8 doc made in Australia I believe. Some people consider the best to be this awesome vista the like of Barraka, I on the other hand consider the best to be how image and theme wed into one. This film is truly awe inspiring, I can't get it out of my head.

• 3 weeks later...

What! Another Chris Bourke/Burke?!?! This is crazy talk! I you see this, where are you from Chris?

Back to the topic, I know it's so obvious it's almost dumb to mention, but the cinematography in "visions of light" is great. Y'all should all check it out if you get a chance.

-Chris

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...