Ideal tape for XL2?

schmolze

No cameras that I'm aware of require a certain brand of tape. I always stick with Sony, that's what we use in our Studio. All the things you hear about not switching brands is true - the manufacturers all use different lubricants, they mix up, and then start attracting all kinds of crud. The thing is, it's an infection. In a Studio environment, it's just about instant death. You can clean all the cameras and VTRs, but unless you get rid of ALL your tapes, you're just going to keep spreading the infection around. It got so bad in our Studio that the only thing that would read any of the tapes recorded by our PD-150 was our DSR-80 Sony DVCAM VTRs - that are something like 20 grand new. Nasty stuff. So, in a nutshell, pick a brand and stick with it. :D

• 1 month later...
Guest Paul McKercher

I was told by some reliable sources that the XL2 tape carriage was designed with the Panasonic tape in mind.

Plus if you mix Panasonic and Sony tapes, you can gum up your heads. One has a powder based lubricant, the other has an oil based lubricant.

Then again, I heard a rumour that they have since fixed the problem.