First super 8 video feedback

david richardson

Hello i'm a photographer but I've just made my first suer 8 video. I haven't made a film before but I love films. Any advice or criticism would be wonderful.

loved it! way cool. Sort of underexposed, but not a problem. did you shoot it on ektachrome? Looks like it.

Many thanks for checking it out! Yeah I used EKTACHROME 100D. The camera I used was a nizo 801, loved using it. I've been giving some 64t, but print might be better, for more latitude, i wanted an overcast day, but wish there was just a bit more light!

I definately want to shoot some more soon. I think I've fallen in love with super8. inevitable!

Great first effort, David! Keep it up. Have you considered shooting S8 color negative? i.e. Vision 3 200T. Not as contrasty but way more latitude. I have even exposed it at 400 ASA at f/11. Beautiful stock. Colors are more muted. But human skin tone is gorgeous. And the new Vision 3 has even a finer grain structure than the previous Vision 2 version.

Many Thanks everyone for the critiques. My photo stuff is below if anyone is interested

http://www.flickr.com/people/dangershark/

Nicholas I've just got slide film at the moment including some BW, so might take me a while to get through them, but I would love to use some I only use negative in my photography, so it makes sense.

Stephen I'm glad that mentioned that, František Drtikol inspires me, the way he capture soul in shadowplay. I totally agree Anthony. I wanted to get the feel of the movement in the music with the guitar wails, but maybe did it too much.. I forget how easily it is to play with a zoom sometimes.

The Nizo 801 is an awsome camera. It goes up to 160ASA. I showed some friends and they really liked the video and the music... you can't touch that look and creative style with a video camera. There is 200T and 500T negative but it's hard to transfer at home. How did you transfer the films?

I meant 160.. 1600 iso super 8 would be special.. I'm already finding limits. I'm a massive fan of Christopher Doyles work with Wong Kar Wai and I know he uses a lotta wide lenses that I can;t touch withough macro I think. Many thnaks for the really kind comments. I loved using the format and wanna use it again, the dslr film movement didn't work for me, it's so as stale as the still format. Viva super 8!!!!!!!!