Mixing Bulbs on Kino Flo's

Mark  McCann

Hi all,

Im a student filmmaker and im plotting for a piece ill be filming after christmas. I have been planning on lighting a certain scene with a few 2ft/4ft Kino's, my idea for a scene is too camera balance for 3200k with the kino flos at 3200k for the most part but replacing a few of the bulbs with 5600k temp ones to try and give pools of blue within this scene.

I am still learning and experimenting with cinematgraphy so i hope my logic with what i want to achieve is right,

My question is has anyone on here tried this before? Does it work well? Is there any video examples on the web of the lighting style im trying to achieve i could see?

Thanks

Mark

If you mix tubes in the same fixture you'll end up with a CT nearer 4300k. Having separate 3200k & 5600k lamps will work better, although be aware that kinos do not produce 'pools' of light. They are soft sources which spread the light a lot more than a harder source like a fresnel.

I'll cocktail the bulbs like that pretty often. Depends on what you want them to do. When shooting daylight balance, I'll put in a tungsten tube on occasion to bring out flesh tones, etc. Try it out and see if you like it. If it doesn't work, just use daylight tubes and put in a gradient of CTO until it's the right level of coolness you're lookin' for.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Jonathan- i dont exactly want to use just daylight tubes and add CTO's to cool it all down. i want a mixture of color balanced light with some pool coming in from the non-balanced tubes.

However i will try the tungsten tubes on daylight balanced cameras to see how well it brings out the fleshtone.

i want a mixture of color balanced light with some pool coming in from the non-balanced tubes.

If you want pools of different colour temperatures, it would be better to use lights that have different CT tubes. Mixing the tubes gives a particular light a warmer or cooler look, but it's not the same as differing pools effect.