Can I burn a ProRes DVD using final cut 5 and iMac 3?

JoanneLou

Hi,

I'm editing on FC5 (and/or iDVD) with a ProRes file. I want to burn the film ProRes or higher quality to DVD. Can someone pls advise if I can do this with this software and using iMac 4. If not then what do I need to get as close to broadcast quality as poss?

Jo

You certainly are not giving enough information about your project. Is it HD or SD? Interlace or progessive, etc?

So from in general terms: If you have a version of DVD Studio Pro 4, you can burn an HD DVD from it, but that is not a broadcast standard, not even a consumer playback standard, and you can only play it back on a Mac with certain hardware and software specs.

"In April 2005, Apple updated DVD Studio Pro to support authoring HD content. DVD Studio Pro 4 allows for the burning of HD DVD content to both standard DVDs and HD DVD media (even though no HD DVD burners were currently available for Macintosh). For playing back HD DVD content burnt to a standard DVD, Apple requires a PowerPC G5, Apple DVD Player v4.6, and Mac OS X v10.4 or later."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_Studio_Pro

Pro Res encoded DVDs (playable on standalone DVD players) are impossible to achieve since Pro Res is a variant of the DNxHD Avid codec and HD DVD uses Mpeg2 and Blue Ray uses Mpeg2, AVC and Mpeg 4 for encoding and playback. So there aren't Pro Res DVD players, standalone or otherwise. To summarize, Pro Res is not a distribution format, it is only an acquisition / editing / post production format, not designed to be released for public consumption as such.

If you need to come up with a broadcast / archival version of your (HD) project, output to a (rental) Firewire deck, something like a Panasonic AJ-1400 DVCPRO HD deck. Or you can take your (SD or HD) Pro Res movie on a hard drive to a local post production house for them to output to whatever (tape or disc) format you need it on.