Geoff Boyle

John Holland

Being a person who doesnt want to get into a battle with all the CML " chums " can anyone on here tell me how come Geoff Boyle has become an expert on 3D ?

I believe he has shot some 3D feature films. I assume you're asking because he's instructing at the Santa Fe workshops.

Perhaps because he dived into it and quickly learned quite a bit? His services doing stereography work has increased dramatically in the last year or so. He is also a splendid communicator (hence CML), and therefore this makes him a great teacher.

Seems fair enough reasons to me.

I couldn't think of anyone better to regard as an expert on 3D cinematography than Geoff. He's shot 3D from features to commercials and shorts: he's used just about every type of camera - for the sake of learning about them; he is a great sharer of knowledge (to the extent that BKSTS made him a Fellow (FBKS) and SMPTE awarded him the Eastman Gold Medal for his services to education in the industry - that's a good double in anyone's book!).

And he doesn't have a product to sell (except Geoff Boyle), so you can have some reason to trust what he says.

And maybe he's available B)

I'm puzzled by the question. If you don't follow cml, you can always check him out on his website. THat would answer the question.

• Premium Member

He is also a splendid communicator (hence CML), and therefore this makes him a great teacher.

Am I the only one who finds navigating the Cinematography.net site somewhat on par with herding a pack of tomcats through a mangrove swamp while wearing rubber boots two sizes too large?

The Reduser site is by far the easiest to navigate and has very few ads to slow up the works. Which is probably one explanation why the vast majority of the posts are one-word or at most one-line excretions of sycophantic dribble.

This site has a much more reasonable 'tard to savant ratio, but you have to become a sustaining member to get only a limited amount of the post editing freedom you get with Reduser for free.

Cinematography.net, on the other hand is a total dog's breakfast.

For example can anybody tell me why some posts come out as a single enormously long line like a tickertape machine, while others appear in a nnormal multiline format.

Navigation can be a nightmare with people starting new threads all the time that were meant to be continuations of existing threads and so on.

And you can't display images.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Don't waste your time on the CML website.

Well I don't ;)

It's far and away best as an email list. It's designed for working professionals on location who want answers to problems without fancy trimmings.

Yeah, I don't find that particularly helpful either. Every day my inbox would get chock-full of CML emails, hardly more useful than wading through the CML site. And I've tried using a sort filter to direct them to their own folders, but the return address header seems to keep changing all the time.

Yeah, I don't find that particularly helpful either.

I'm no arbiter of internet etiquette, but I don't see anything very helpful in using one forum to slag off about another forum. If you have an issue with CML I suggest you take it up with the moderators there.

And I've tried using a sort filter to direct them to their own folders, but the return address header seems to keep changing all the time.
Funny, I never had any problem. Never heard of anyone else who did either. Perhaps email just isn't for you, Keith.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't visit here very often but when I do....

Check out my CV John, I shot what is apparently the first totally digitally shot 3D movie.

A bunch of commercials, station idents and short films as well.

Oh and a huge amount of work with manufacturers at my own expense and time.

yes Phil, I do have me to sell.

As for CML, If I could get rid of the web interface to the messages my life would be a lot quieter and the quality of CML would increase hugely.

The junk emails, ie the noise as opposed to the content comes almost entirely from the web interface.

the email side, which is what it started as and is the heart of the system, tends to get more intelligent and reasoned responses.

But John and anyone else, feel free to slag me off wherever and however you want, I'll just keep on movingg ahead as I always have done.

• Premium Member

But John and anyone else, feel free to slag me off wherever and however you want, I'll just keep on movingg ahead as I always have done.

Not unlike a participant or two in the "Feature on a 5D" thread in cml-hdslr, there are also a few over here who take five cents worth of knowledge and think they can buy a Ferrari Super America with it.

PS: For those who don't understand what's up with cml using email as its primary messaging system read:

LISTSERV

(cml uses Lyris but this article will give a feel for a listserv's function.)

• Premium Member

Every day my inbox would get chock-full of CML emails, hardly more useful than wading through the CML site. And I've tried using a sort filter to direct them to their own folders, but the return address header seems to keep changing all the time.

Set up a "cml" email subfolder plus a rule that looks for "cml-" in the SUBJECT line and moves mail to that folder. If you want more finely tuned sorting: Set up a set of rules and subfolders looking for "cml-hdlsr", "cml-general", etc. in the SUBJECT lines.

I use Outlook and have absolutely no problem with sorting cml mail. I've also used Outlook Express' rule routines in the past with good results.

• Premium Member

If this site were actively moderated, I'd say that it's time to close this thread.

I apologized to Geoff on CML this morning for not coming to his defense here, but this thread seemed a waste of my time since anyone can figure out Geoff's background in 3D with a little searching, plus anyone who also reads CML knows about his work in 3D. Geoff is the epitome of openness, which is one of the points of the CML -- sharing our professional experiences and thoughts -- and Geoff has done a lot of sharing in his lifetime, so it's never been a mystery as to his background, and therefore I didn't get the point of the original question.

• Upvote 1

If this site were actively moderated, I'd say that it's time to close this thread.

It's time for me to leave.

I haven't participated much because I figure lurking awhile is the best approach at first, but personal attacks are a bad sign.

I'm outta here.

It's time for me to leave.

I haven't participated much because I figure lurking awhile is the best approach at first, but personal attacks are a bad sign.

I'm outta here.

If that's all it takes to get you to leave, I'd say you're pretty thin skinned, especially for someone in the camera department. Personal attacks aren't the norm around here but they happen on all internet forums. Geoff is a big boy, he can take it and he can obviously stand up for himself. Geoff has contributed a great deal to cinematography and on-line cinematography education. Maybe people are jealous of what he has accomplished.

I'm just glad I happened upon the original post within 12 hours when it was made so that I could reply swiftly. Really don't understand why some people feel the need to post certain things in public forums.

My first inclination was just to ignore it.