Glide/Steadycam for Canon 60D on $150 budget

Matt Stevens

Yes, I know this is tough, but I just don't have the money for a Glidecam. Not right now. We are looking for something to give us smooth shots with a Canon 60D and the Hague MMC Mimi-Motion Cam Stabilizer would be perfect, but it cannot handle the weight of a DSLR with battery and lens.

The Hague DSLR Motion-Cam has far too many bad reviews in regards to its cheapness to go with and it's too pricey anyway.

So... Advice? Choices? Is there anything out there that will not cost us an arm and a leg?

We do see the Lensse MidX Steady Cam Steadicam Stabilizer on eBay (looks like a Hague copy), but I am unable to find reviews or video footage examples (other than the video posted on the eBay auction). It states up to 9kg or 2 pounds, but I am not sure of the Canon 60D with battery and lens comes in at that or is slightly heavier. Price is right, despite ludicrous shipping costs.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Yes, I know this is tough, but I just don't have the money for a Glidecam. Not right now. We are looking for something to give us smooth shots with a Canon 60D and the Hague MMC Mimi-Motion Cam Stabilizer would be perfect, but it cannot handle the weight of a DSLR with battery and lens.

The Hague DSLR Motion-Cam has far too many bad reviews in regards to its cheapness to go with and it's too pricey anyway.

So... Advice? Choices? Is there anything out there that will not cost us an arm and a leg?

We do see the Lensse MidX Steady Cam Steadicam Stabilizer on eBay (looks like a Hague copy), but I am unable to find reviews or video footage examples (other than the video posted on the eBay auction). It states up to 9kg or 2 pounds, but I am not sure of the Canon 60D with battery and lens comes in at that or is slightly heavier. Price is right, despite ludicrous shipping costs.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Well, you are not going to like my advice, but be that as it may. With camera related equipment, you get what you pay for. I spent money for the basic glidecam 2000 and was not very happy with how heavy it got after just a few minutes. I had to end up spending around $15,000 for the Glidecam X-45 / Gold customized rig before I could be confident in its performance. Now this is just my experience, maybe others can share some better alternaives that this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Yes, I know this is tough, but I just don't have the money for a Glidecam. Not right now. We are looking for something to give us smooth shots with a Canon 60D and the Hague MMC Mimi-Motion Cam Stabilizer would be perfect, but it cannot handle the weight of a DSLR with Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Ever try a small still head on a monopod stuck in a belt? The head doesn't have to be a good one because it's only used to establish level, not to tilt/pan. The belt can be a cheap Home Depot style work belt, perhaps with suspenders, with a small tool pouch swung around to the front. With a little practice walking you can get quite good with this kind of rig, I walk with my knees slightly bent to help avoid bobbing up and down. In effect the rig uses your knees as the arm of a Steadicam

If you can take the additional weight, hose clamp additional weight to the top of the unipod (I've used the type of hand weights shaped like a letter "D") to add inertia to the rig. That helps to damp out small, inadvertant motion.

• 3 months later...

You can buy the Lensse steadycam on Amazon now. I have the MidPro and have used it with my HG10, it balances nice. I have not tried it with my T2i yet but am planning on it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U2MX6S?ie=UTF8&seller=A3RIMOT36HWCIH&sn=JOGR

There are more videos posted on Vimeo and youtube now then when you originally posted, with test footage. good luck.

• 1 month later...

We ordered a rig that the post office lost. Never did end up with one. Shot without it, mostly tripod.

But I am looking again as I will likely be purchasing my own DSLR this fall, plus some gear for it when I move to Vietnam. Yup, Vietnam. I'll need to go with a camera, one very good lens, plus a decent steadicam type rig.

Research research research.

I built my own "stedi cam" Check out these shots with it. I was the Cinematographer for this music video, i did not choose the music or have any affiliation with it, haha. Shot on the 7d it's on the 30 sec mark.