Epic news

Emanuel A Guedes

There won't be more Scarlet S35 but Epic Light. Price unknown so far, very likely 'cause Jim Jannard will be listening the market during next two weeks.

Announcement:

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52245

Epic release in December for machined bodies ($58,000 for the package), with regular production for small quantities scheduled for February, and normal delivery for April.

Announcement:

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52240

• Premium Member

There won't be more Scarlet S35 but Epic Light. Price unknown so far, very likely 'cause Jim Jannard will be listening the market during next two weeks.

Announcement:

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52245

Epic release in December for machined bodies ($58,000 for the package), with regular production for small quantities scheduled for February, and normal delivery for April.

Announcement:

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52240

Jeez, I would have thought this was a much more interesting announcement!

(Peter Jackson's The Hobbit is to be shot in two parts in NZ in 3-D using 30 Epics, starting early next year)

Nyaa Nyaa!! Beat you to it Emanuel!

"The Hobbit" is Jim Jannard's "favourite book"?! :blink:

LOL You know, I love to share with my fellows @ these boards but I should be the only one or a rare reduser member to have guts to do it :-)

On the contrary, me and many other Scarlet believers are sincerely more concerned about the new price of the Light Model now re-baptized Epic-S [LINK] than any new features to come (on the screen or in-camera), as matter of fact ;-)

I think we can assume one thing: the s35 Epic Light won't be $8,000 for the brain like the Scarlet was supposed to be. I'm guessing $15,000 to $20,000 now. Red really crapped the bed here. And "Epic Light"??? Really? That is the dumbest name I've ever heard. Epic fail.

Edited by Gabe Spangler

I think we can assume one thing: the s35 Epic Light won't be $8,000 for the brain like the Scarlet was supposed to be. I'm guessing $15,000 to $20,000 now. Red really crapped the bed here. And "Epic Light"??? Really? That is the dumbest name I've ever heard. Epic fail.

The Scarlet S35 was supposed to be $7,000. Since this thread is open, Epic Light has been re-renamed for Epic-S.

• Premium Member

On the bright side, this announcement did win me a be for a night of beer (that there won't be a S35mm Scarlet.) Still, not really good news and I am always surprised how people seem to jump whenever they up the prices. Normally you'd think people will be let down. In my own head, I don't quite see a place for an "Epic S(mall)". Higher end productions will go with the full Epic, and lower projects, well at the time of writing this there are a myriad of cameras which offer the "DoF Look," without the ancillary post costs of dealing with RAW-- which if one can afford, I don't see why one wouldn't just rent a full Epic...

Just my thoughts, mind you.

On the contrary, me and many other Scarlet believers are sincerely more concerned about the new price of the Light Model now re-baptized Epic-S

I assume RED wll be manufacturing it in the US, like the full Epic. That could increase the price compared to a Scarlet version presumably made in the Far East.

The truly unique Scarlet is the 2/3" version, the broadcasting market is much larger than cinema and it's priced (currently) in the popular EX series ballpark. The downside, could be the RAW workflow with editors used to dealing with traditional video formats.

Jeez, I would have thought this was a much more interesting announcement!

(Peter Jackson's The Hobbit is to be shot in two parts in NZ in 3-D using 30 Epics, starting early next year)

Nyaa Nyaa!! Beat you to it Emanuel!

"The Hobbit" is Jim Jannard's "favourite book"?! :blink:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/28/peter-jackson-nabs-thirty-red-epic-cameras-to-film-the-hobbit-t/

I assume RED wll be manufacturing it in the US, like the full Epic. That could increase the price compared to a Scarlet version presumably made in the Far East.

The truly unique Scarlet is the 2/3" version, the broadcasting market is much larger than cinema and it's priced (currently) in the popular EX series ballpark. The downside, could be the RAW workflow with editors used to dealing with traditional video formats.

Yes Brian. I've just seen Jim's post now.

This will obviously bring consequences for RED business and their customers.

Me and my partners were previously thinking to buy two Scarlet S35 and probably two 2/3" (we always must buy a couple of them considering the 3D market where we have been committed).

Now, we already don't know nothing at all. If we will let drop the 2/3" purchase once we need to focus our resources in the 35mm sensor size route, our main territory. Granted the price increase, with no budget for. Or if we even go out of RED. Time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me or RED as succeeded at catching to ARRI on price levels? They were bragging about being the affordable price point for indy shoots, they went from a 20k$ body to now a 58k$ body, and ARRI went from 200k+ (D21) to 70k(Alexa). Insert sarcasm here?

• Premium Member

I made that same point to a friend of mine recently, following up that one must really worry about red in a rental market. Given the choice, I would wager a few more productions, with the same money to spend, would probably go for an Alexa given that it will, in theory, save them some money in post as they could just go to Pro-Res 4444 without the time (i.e. money) of Raw conversions-- even if done in real, or faster than real, time.

wow,

Not a reduser user here, but a look and boy oh boy...

I wonder if that Mr Jannard fella thinks having the type of retard that posts there (about, I dunno %30 of them ?? at least ??) is good for business.

(... and yes, I don't rate any forum especially immune, but far out - ya know ?)

:huh:

Is it just me or RED as succeeded at catching to ARRI on price levels? They were bragging about being the affordable price point for indy shoots, they went from a 20k$ body to now a 58k$ body, and ARRI went from 200k+ (D21) to 70k(Alexa). Insert sarcasm here?

And isn't that great that RED has pushed other companies to bring the cost of high end cameras down? Arri drop 130 G's off there cameras to meet RED's prize point. Amazing right?

wow,

Not a reduser user here, but a look and boy oh boy...

I wonder if that Mr Jannard fella thinks having the type of retard that posts there (about, I dunno %30 of them ?? at least ??) is good for business.

(... and yes, I don't rate any forum especially immune, but far out - ya know ?)

:huh:

They are all 'retards' that buy or use HIS camera. I'm sure he doesn't give a hoot if they are idiots or butts.

and side note:

does the Alexa rent higher than a RED MX right now? And if it does, would the Alexa rent lower than an EPIC?

I'm not commenting on the camera, or who buys it - more the type of people that populate the forums discussing the camera, who I'm thinking most of don't own one, nor ever will ...

I'd be concerned about association issues if I were him - anyone going to reduser without the context to buffer those posters input from memory might think that the red is a camera well, for retards :huh:

redtards ? :rolleyes:

• Premium Member

does the Alexa rent higher than a RED MX right now? And if it does, would the Alexa rent lower than an EPIC?

I don't know about that, but from Panavision Sydney at least, a RED package rents for a couple of hundred dollars a day less than an 11-year-old Sony F900 package!

Another same ol' same ol' though: Just as the acquisition cost of any decent budget feature normally makes up only a small part of the total production cost, the cost of the actual camera used simlarly makes up only a small fraction of the total acquisition budget.

Whatever camera is chosen, cost is unlikely to be a factor.

It would be nteresting to know exactly who is supplying the Epics though.

• 2 months later...

I'm seriously considering Alexa now for a few reasons. Having recently used one, it's undoubtedly designed with cameramen in mind. Balanced beautifully on my shoulder, didn't require complex configurations, etc. And the image was stunning. The company I work for is waiting on an EPIC but I begin to wonder if an Alexa would be a better investment both aesthetically and financially. It's like the question: do I pay 25,000 for RPP's that rent for 300/day or 75,000 for UP's that rent for 750/day? The UP's will go off the shelf at least 3 times for every RPP rental. The math speaks for itself. At the end of the day, whichever produces the most pleasing images and best workflow will be in demand.

Edited by Tim Naylor