AFTRS foundation diploma vs uni degree(qut/griffith)? which is better?

Hi everyone,

The other day I just got offered into the AFTRS foundation diploma in Sydney Aus, but was a bit torn in what direction to go. I live in brisbane, so this would be a move (but do-able all the same) and was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the course. Since this is only a diploma, would say doing a uni degree in film at QUT or Griffith's Queensland College of Art, be better? Also, could you get work doing just this diploma? or would you have to go on to do further study?

If anyone could help just a bit, that would be great, or if you/know anyone that has done the course could tell me how you enjoyed it would also be good! so basically any info on the course and i would be forever thankfullll :)

Sorry if this doesn't make sense - im a bit tired!

Thanks in advance :)

Elle

You need to use your full real name, it's one of the forum rules.

I don't know the course, but it depends if the diploma would offer less options than the degree. For example teaching usually needs a degree, I'm not saying this your plan, but I know quite a few technicians who have taken up lecturing when they started needing a regular income.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

The AFTRS course is, as you say, a FOUNDATION course. Don't think of it as the only course you'll do. What you will get will be a stupendously intensive course in making films with the pick of the bunch, and some great lecturers.

Sure, you don't get a degree from that course, but you can go on to other courses at AFTRS or elsewhere. How many graduates of QUT or Griffith have won academy awards?

You tend to get work through the contacts you make, rather than by having a certificate or diploma. Contacts at AFTRS would be great - and of course it is right next to Fox Studios Australia, so if they ever get any big productions in again (curse the weak US$!) you'll be well placed. And Animal Logic, Cutting Edge, Spectrum etc are also on the lot.

The AFTRS course is, as you say, a FOUNDATION course. Don't think of it as the only course you'll do. What you will get will be a stupendously intensive course in making films with the pick of the bunch, and some great lecturers.

Sure, you don't get a degree from that course, but you can go on to other courses at AFTRS or elsewhere. How many graduates of QUT or Griffith have won academy awards?

You tend to get work through the contacts you make, rather than by having a certificate or diploma. Contacts at AFTRS would be great - and of course it is right next to Fox Studios Australia, so if they ever get any big productions in again (curse the weak US$!) you'll be well placed. And Animal Logic, Cutting Edge, Spectrum etc are also on the lot.

Ok, thanks for that information - really helped :)