Digtal to Film Transfer

Hi,

Sorry for asking a question I'm sure this has come through here a few times but I haven't found many answers searching the forums.

I'm trying to research all information/options concerning transferring digital to film/Celluloid… time frame, costs etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for further info, or recommend someone/company to speak to.

Thanks in advance

Rog

Several years ago, a friend of mine did a project that did that, but I think he used Technicolor (it is a ll a blur now). I'm not sure if they are still doing that, I couldn't find it on their website. The results are usually good, but it really depends on your source material and the method used to transfer to film -- particularly, if the footage has a lot of blown out highlights, you'll never recover detail there, and it'll look well, like crappy video. There are these guys, which seem to have a good track record:

http://www.dvfilm.com/faq.htm

Alternatively, you can do it yourself with a sync film camera, a steady tripod and a decently calibrated LCD HDTV. Do a test before you commit to it, tho. I have done it with good results, and there was a movie released 5-6 years ago called Nine Songs whose print was screened at festivals in Europe using that method. Some of us discussed the subject somewhat extensively a few years back on these boards, including the DP for Nine Songs. I'd search the archives if you want more information about it.

Several years ago, a friend of mine did a project that did that, but I think he used Technicolor (it is a ll a blur now). I'm not sure if they are still doing that, I couldn't find it on their website. The results are usually good, but it really depends on your source material and the method used to transfer to film -- particularly, if the footage has a lot of blown out highlights, you'll never recover detail there, and it'll look well, like crappy video. There are these guys, which seem to have a good track record:

http://www.dvfilm.com/faq.htm

Alternatively, you can do it yourself with a sync film camera, a steady tripod and a decently calibrated LCD HDTV. Do a test before you commit to it, tho. I have done it with good results, and there was a movie released 5-6 years ago called Nine Songs whose print was screened at festivals in Europe using that method. Some of us discussed the subject somewhat extensively a few years back on these boards, including the DP for Nine Songs. I'd search the archives if you want more information about it.

Hi Saul, Thanks for the reply, helpful to know it's worth searching the archives and thanks for the link, a good start to further my understanding and research. Much appreciate it.

Rog