DP Reel Fall 2010

I just updated my reel, and I would be interested in any criticisms and feedback on it since I update it periodically. You can see it here:

http://noahyv.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10&Itemid=19

Really I'm open to any criticisms, so please share your thoughts. Pretty much everything on there was shot entirely with my light kit and a Canon 7D or Sony EX1. A lot of it is actually from web comedy content I've shot, though shots from a dramatic feature and short I shot are in there too. I'd prefer to get more work in dramatic narrative so that is the aim of the reel, if that helps focus your critique.

Thanks for watching!

Edited by Noah Yuan-Vogel

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Noah

what up? the reel looks very good. i will preface my comments by saying that there are many ways to approach the reel and no single way that is right or wrong. but this is mine:

i think a reel should only be 60 seconds long. it should be a teaser of your work. it should be a commercial for your range of talent. in your case i think you could easily cut it down and have a very strong reel. Keep in mind that it is widely held that the people watching your reel are probably watching lots of them and they probably will remember either the first or last shot of the reel. so make those as striking as possible.

somewhere else on your website you could have completed scenes to show your ability to cover a scene properly and execute continuity in lighting, composition and operation.

in your case i found the jumping back and forth from different projects to be disjunctive. i would keep projects adjacent to themselves. this also reminds the viewer of your range and the continuity of look within those projects.

nice work.

good luck.

f

Noah,

I think you have some strong stuff in there. Some very nice lighting. Also, it all seems to be of really good quality (i myself have problems editing with both HD and older 35mm stuff and have it both look good in the same timeline).

It does feel a bit slow. Maybe just faster cuts or music wouldn't make it seem as long? I think that 2 minutes is a good length, but maybe there wasn't enough variety in the beginning so it felt longer than it is.

• 2 weeks later...

hey Frank! Great to see you on here.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I was actually worried it was too cutty rather than too slow. I have a lot of trouble getting proper final versions of my work to provide partly due to most things in my reel being finished and delivered in either 2-5 days or 1+ year.

Ill write more when I'm back in the US in a few days.