Tree of Life trailer

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read that the trailer for The Tree of Life will be finally seen after all this time! It is attached to Fox Searchlight's other property "Black Swan".

Good to know, I'll be curious to hear the discussion regarding Black Swan's cinematography as well. Anyone know when Tree of Life is going to be released? Thanks for the heads up, Vincent.

• Premium Member

The Tree of Life is finally set to release May 27th.

As expected the trailer gives away little of the film itself but gets you interested regardless, which are the kind I prefer. Like usual Chivo's work looks like nomination level stuff. There are grand images of nature, of Pitt and his character's family, some voice-over work via one of his boys with the tone you would expect (and want) in one of his films, a Kubrick/Shining looking wide angle stedicam shot following a kid through a dining room (I think it was), a few shots of Penn in an office setting, then Penn in what may be Death Valley, and then there are a few glimpses of the infamous FX shots that we have heard about, which I think may rival any in history. Honestly I was taken aback by the little I saw of them. What I was seeing barely registered and I'll have to view them again to make sense of it. I guess that means the quality was surely a shock; too much information to take in, in just two minutes, so much so that I can barely recall anything vividly. This is a film made for the big screen, that much is obvious. I'd rather not say more about it as I feel like you should wait till you can see it in a theater yourself so the scale of it hits the right spot. I am also horrible at commenting on others work.

I will say that I am surprised at how few guys I have run into lately, who work in film/media, that know nothing about this movie. I am getting the impression, through following this since the start, that it may set a new benchmark for cinema in many different ways. A level of quality and daring toward today's traditional storytelling that is rarely, if ever, seen at this scale... at least not since the 1960's and '70's. Having said that, Fox is making it clear that there is a real narrative here.

I saw this quote in a post which makes the wait even more difficult to bare and backs up said feelings of mine. The whole article also has some interesting IMAX related information:

http://www.thestar.com/article/904870--howell-imax-foes-battle-for-our-attention

A TREE ODYSSEY: During his talk on 2001: A Space Odyssey, Douglas Trumbull let slip a tantalizing tidbit about Terrence Malick’s mysterious The Tree of Life, long in the works. The film is a family drama starring Sean Penn and Brad Pitt.

Trumbull has been involved with the film. He said it’s as much of an “ultimate trip” as 2001 is: “It will probably be one of the films with the closest feeling to 2001, since 2001.”

Was I the only one rather underwhelmed by this trailer? It seemed so disjointed, cobbling together bits from the what I gather to be the Voyage of Time short, a Rob Reiner-ish 50s coming of age tale, and a contemporary drama of an emotionally traumatized man.

A commentator on another forum said it best of this trailer: "It looks like a commercial for life insurance."

Surely the film will be better than the trailer. I can only hope.

• Premium Member

I thought it looked pretty good. As a trailer it certainly got me interested in the film though of course I"m heavily biased. I think the main shortcoming of the whole project is the fact that people have such huge expectations, I would say, and as such there is a good chance the film may not live up to them. I suppose the same can be said as true about the trailer-- we expect so much and then we've given a typical type trailer which, had it been a normal film, by anyone else, I think we'd all take as being and alright piece.

It's almost how I feel about Avatar, I was expecting a lot more than I got and as such felt the film wasn't as good as many other people I know.

• Premium Member

a Rob Reiner-ish 50s coming of age tale, and a contemporary drama of an emotionally traumatized man.

A commentator on another forum said it best of this trailer: "It looks like a commercial for life insurance."

I don't think the scope of how this was made, who was involved in making it and their past work is understood. Those comments likely couldn't be more off the mark.

Ah ha ha

It's true!

Anyone have any idea what is going on with the space sequences ?

Its tantalising, although perhaps seen before:

any of those meteor movies

the view of Mercury occluding the sun from the Icarus (Sunshine)

The Fountain

hints of Solaris

etc...

• Premium Member

Yes I'm sure Douglas Trumbull came out of retirement so he could work on something that has been seen before.

Taking into consideration and appreciating all of these top-tier artists body of work before throwing words like that around would be, well, appreciated I'm sure.

Sorry but I feel that simplistic, negative and public comments about something that people worked years on should be left out of this place, of all places. At least watch it in context first.

Yes I'm sure Douglas Trumbull came out of retirement so he could work on something that has been seen before.

Taking into consideration and appreciating all of these top-tier artists body of work before throwing words like that around would be, well, appreciated I'm sure.

Sorry but I feel that simplistic, negative and public comments about something that people worked years on should be left out of this place, of all places. At least watch it in context first.

The context is a trailer

We're talking about the trailer...

I don't think they (or who?) give a toss what we think so I'm not sure who your sarcasm re. appreciation is aimed at (?)

I think you're being marginally simplistic, certainly negative and just as public as any of us...

Go figure :huh:

Yes, my criticism is of the trailer, not the film, since I haven't seen the film, and cannot comment on it. But I think the trailer is rather mediocre, but so are most these days.

Good movie trailers are becoming a lost art, as each one I see now seems to be the same old pattern:

Rapid editing set to either a chorus or drums going "bum, da, da, da, da bum, da, da, da bum" and it ends with someone uttering, "Oh my god..."

What happened to such marvelous trailers like the one for "Dr. Strangelove" or "Amadeus." Both are marvelous and really get you excited about seeing the movie. Or more recently, the first, 1:15 minute "teaser" for "True Grit" was easily the best trailer I'd seen all year, and sold me completely on seeing the film.

If trailers are supposed to people interested, to entice audiences into the theatres, then in my opinion, the current trailer for "Tree of Life" fails. I'll be hoping they make another one that better conveys the sense of what a marvelous film I hope it will be.

Interesting that Malick went for 20 years without making a movie from 1978-98.

Any of our Malick experts care to comment on what he did during this 20 year period?

As for the trailer, stunning imagery, that's for sure!

R,

• Premium Member

"Tree of Life" will win the Best Picture Oscar. You can take that to the bank.

You want to bet on that, Tom? :P

Given that the film was almost entirely shot on 35 & 65mm film, you must be somewhat miffed at Mr Malick's contribution to your failure in a recent wager...

• Premium Member

I dunno Keith,

according to IMDB he used the RED. So therefore, all the stuff from the trailer is from the RED ;)

IMDB says:

Technical specifications for

The Tree of Life (2011)

Camera

Arri/Zeiss Master Prime Lenses

Arricam ST & LT

Arriflex 435

Red One Camera (some shots)

If it was more than "some shots" I'm sure the dear departed Mr Lowe would have had something to say about it :)

• Premium Member

The present time scenes were shot on the Red One, the past was shot on film, so I believe all the scenes with Sean Penn would be Red One footage, but the Brad Pitt stuff would be film.

A (loose) acquaintance of mine was on set during some Penn shots. It was 35mm as well. Malick apparently rejected some or all of the red stuff that was tried out. No surprise there.