Explaining IMAX - Infographic & Discussion

Evan Luzi

Chris - Haha! Thanks for the laugh. I'm still relatively new here and don't often start threads so I guess I wasn't aware. But I'm glad you find the thread "worthwhile" nonetheless :P And despite Joseph's misgivings, I do think the explanations I gave to him will come in handy for someone else new to how film works.

Karl - It's not a problem. I figured you simply misread it without realizing, innocent mistake!

With that said... I hope we can guide this thread back on topic with my reply to Brian:

That's interesting. I had never really looked deep into horizontal 35mm processes, so I only knew VistaVision because of Hitchcock and I had a friend who shot a short in the format. I really wish formats like this - especially 70mm - would come back to life in a big way. But I know economics will prevent that and it shows in the amount of IMAX DMR films being output as opposed to natively shot in the 15/70 format.

I love IMAX originated footage presented properly - as I've said elsewhere in these forums I find it more immersive than 3D - more 3D than 3D even ...

I heard more audible and genuine 'wow' from audience in The Dark Night than in Avatar/Inception/Transformers II etc...

Your infographic is incorrect, or at least misleading. You say that 'Because more area on the film strip is occupied' IMAX 3D gets through 1000ft of film in half the time as 2D. That's not correct. Fact is 3D uses two projectors (which each get through film at exactly the same rate as 2D) thus using up stock at twice the speed. Nothing to do with the image area.

There's a very instructive film on projecting Imax 3D here

It's film Jim, but not as we know it... :blink:

Edited by Karel Bata

Your infographic is incorrect, or at least misleading. You say that 'Because more area on the film strip is occupied' IMAX 3D gets through 1000ft of film in half the time as 2D. That's not correct. Fact is 3D uses two projectors (which each get through film at exactly the same rate as 2D) thus using up stock at twice the speed. Nothing to do with the image area.

There's a very instructive film on projecting Imax 3D here

It's film Jim, but not as we know it... :blink:

I was already aware of that Karel and I did take it into consideration when making the infographic. I will concede that perhaps the language is a bit misleading, but in the sake of making the graphic appear cleaner, I chose not to qualify the IMAX 3D part of that section by explaining that the only reason it goes through 1000 ft half as fast is because it uses twice the stock. In actuality, I think it is a dilution of the statement to pull out of context that statement in comparison to only the 3D and 2D IMAX counterparts. That section of the graphic does not say that IMAX 3D goes faster than 2D because of more area on the film strip, at least not directly, but was instead meant to compare the format to traditional 35mm.

It is a legitimate point you raise, however. Just explaining my thought process in constructing the graphic.

I should also point out that in that section I was referring to IMAX as an acquisition format/camera system and 3D cameras will have mag loads of 2000 feet of film which they go through in 3 minutes (thus half as fast as IMAX 2D for 1000 feet).

It's up to you, but I think the wording makes it a bit misleading. Depends on who's meant to read it.

Did you like the video? Or did you know all that stuff? Those guys look they're from NASA. I bet they got on real fine when they sent IMAX 3D cameras up to the space platform! :lol:

It's up to you, but I think the wording makes it a bit misleading. Depends on who's meant to read it.

Did you like the video? Or did you know all that stuff? Those guys look they're from NASA. I bet they got on real fine when they sent IMAX 3D cameras up to the space platform! :lol:

I think you're right - it is slightly misleading - but I think it does depend on how it's read aka if you compare them all individually or take that section as group as I did. To be honest, I didn't even notice the conflict of the wording until you brought it up.

I did like the video - the large format stuff really fascinates me and the sheer amount of technology behind it. How could would that job be though? To go to space AND shoot IMAX 3D!