Good Black and White Lab

Jarin Blaschke

I am shooting a black-and-white short in LA in a few months and am wondering if anyone has any experience with the black and white processing of any labs out there. There is also a chance that it may shoot here in New York and so I should invstigate labs here as well. The last time I shot monochrome, it was 7 years ago and I had used DuArt - both the negative and the print came to me still smelling of unwashed fixer. I am obviously reluctant to use them again. Which are the good, clean labs in each of these areas? Thanks.

Jarin

Edited by JarinBlaschke

Hi - this is negative, right ? (assuming since you mention DuArt).

If so, I had nice work done by Alpha Cine in Seattle but this was a decade ago.

Also in Seattle is Forde Labs, who do very nice B&W reversal work, but I don't know about negative (Alpha actually referred me to Forde when they dropped Reversal processing from their services.)

hmm, Just looked at Forde's web site, they are doing negative. I personally would give them a try, but I know them.

Does FotoKem still do B&W neg ? But I never had B&W done from them (except for a custom hi-con soundtrack interneg)

Test first in all cases. But you know that.

-Sam

p.s. I'm on the east coast but sent my stuff to Seattle anyway, sleepless or not.

Hi Jarin:

I am going to be shooting my first feature this summer on 35mm Double-X, so believe me, I've been doing my homework over the last couple of years. THE lab for B/W in L.A. was Franklin out in Upland. But unfortanely, they closed down. Fotokem does B/W at the same price as color, so that's definitely an option. Also, Cheshire in Burbank touts that it is the best place in town for B/W. It is a smaller lab, but sometimes, as was the case in Franklin, their B/W processing was a lot more controlled and on the money. Their prices are a few pennies more than Fotokem. Only thing is, Cheshire doesn't do any printing. So, if you need a workprint, I'd go with Fotokem for everything. If you are going to edit digital, you might want to take a look at Cheshire.

Hope this helps,

John G.

I am shooting a black-and-white short in LA in a few months and am wondering if anyone has any experience with the black and white processing of any labs out there. There is also a chance that it may shoot here in New York and so I should invstigate labs here as well. The last time I shot monochrome, it was 7 years ago and I had used DuArt - both the negative and the print came to me still smelling of unwashed fixer. I am obviously reluctant to use them again. Which are the good, clean labs in each of these areas? Thanks.

Jarin

hmm, Just looked at Forde's web site, they are doing negative. I personally would give them a try, but I know them.

I second that.

I have never had Forde screw up a roll of my film. Friendly folks that you can actually talk to. They processed some B&W 16mm Fomapan for me and it came out real nice. Forde is in Seattle.

http://www.fordelabs.com/index.php

jack in Portland, OR

Hmmm, FomaPan. This may be my chance to test some of that out, along with my Plus-x vs. FP4 comparisons. Where does one get a hold of that stuff, and do they give out test rolls? Does it have much of a different look from the Kodak standbys?

The best place to buy Fomapan is from John Schwind. He has it for $15.00 a roll. John is well know in the film community and you can trust him:

http://members.aol.com/Super8mm/JohnSchwind.html

Some say Fomapan has more silver in it, and so, looks like older Kodak B&W film stocks from the 1930's & 1940's. All I can say for sure is that it looks different. Shoot some and see what you think. Processing from Ford is less than $20.00

Here is a Fomapan data sheet:

http://www.foma.cz/Upload/foma/prilohy/F_pan_R_en.pdf

jack

ironically i think colorlab is the best black and white lab in new york. well, they're not in new york but they have offices and film drop off there. i haven't used them since a couple of years ago (i left new york for stockholm), but they were always really helpful, delivered great results, and at a very good price.

/matt

• 6 years later...

I'm looking for a good black and white lab on the east coast to handle 16mm black and white. I'm in Pittsburgh, so I'd be looking at New York/New England most likely. Someone mentioned Colorlab; are there any other recommendations for eastern labs? I'm also a student, so I'd be looking for a lab that's student friendly.

Thanks in advance.

John

I'm looking for a good black and white lab on the east coast to handle 16mm black and white. I'm in Pittsburgh, so I'd be looking at New York/New England most likely. Someone mentioned Colorlab; are there any other recommendations for eastern labs? I'm also a student, so I'd be looking for a lab that's student friendly.

Thanks in advance.

John

Try Cinelab in MA. cinelab.com

• Site Sponsor

Hello from Cinelab...

We have moved and our new facility is still being built out, as we speak there is a crew working on drywall for the darkroom for our B&W Neg and Print processor so we should be running B&W again by next week. We took the opportunity of our move to rebuild the B&W Neg and B&W Reversal machines while they were apart.

We are currently running B&W Reversal in 8mm and 16mm and as of next week B&W Neg in 16mm & 35mm will be back and running.

DuArt no longer processes film.... I got two of their film processors and the other two went to India.

-Rob-