New book for Super 8 freaks

Jurgen Lossau

Super8Scope_Cover.jpg

The small publishing house atoll medien that printed my books about Movie Cameras and Movie Projectors is now presenting a new and very special book that might be interesting for Super 8 freaks. "Super8 Scope" written by Lutz Auhage is in English language only.

Who attached a Kowa 8Z anamorphic lens and compendium to a Nizo? Who built a contact printer from a Super 8 projector with additional reel arms and a lamp housing? Who blows up Super 8 onto 16mm with an archaic apparatus made from a Krasnogorsk camera? Lutz Auhage does things like that. Now he has written an illustrated book on the topic which atoll medien is pleased to offer in a limited edition of 100 copies. In eleven chapters, it covers anamorphic shooting, developing, contact and optical copying, rotoscoping, blue screen, blow ups, film scanning and editing. The 47-year-old tinkerer has created his own devices in each of these areas and presents his working machines.

The price is Euro 39.95 plus shipping. If you have any interest you might send an e-mail to info@atollmedien.de

Edited by Jürgen Lossau

There has been a lot of interest for the new book written by Lutz Auhage. Because of many questions: International shipping by Air Mail is Euro 8 to any place in the world. So there is a total of Euro 47.95. The office of atoll medien told me 30 of the 100 books in English language have been sold in one day ;).

Thanks for that, Jurgen. Looks very interesting, I just can't justify the expense on myself this time of year. Surely they'll run additional printings since it's getting so many pre-orders? A run of only 100 seems very limited.

Hi Edward,

atoll medien has a lot of experiences with the run of small quantities. But this case is different. The author Lutz Auhage realized this book as an Apple photo book with special software. Printing is very expensive because it is not a normal digital format (like pdf) that he is using. This is why there is one run only.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Nicholas, there are still some copies!

To all orderers: All copies of the book have been shipped today. It took some more time because we do have a heavy snow disaster here in Germany and the transport from the printers to our office took some more days than suggested :).

• 3 weeks later...

My copy arrived at my house in Australia yesterday. Its a nice production. Lutz Auhage's commitment to super 8 is quite unique, and the diy devices he has made are really something to behold. This is quite inspirational for experimental filmmakers to see what can be done from limited resources. I would like to see some of Lutz's work ...

richard

Yep - a great book. Mine arrived yesterday in Australia. I brought it in to work today - 'reading' it on the train.

Am particularly inspired by the engineering efforts.

Also the blue screen work. Back in the day (1979), blown away by Star Wars, I read up on how they did the special effects - models against blue screen and wanted so much to do it on Super 8. I worked it all out, contrast stocks, bipacking, everything. But I didn't do it in the end because I calculated it wouldn't look any good - because the matte would wobble too much.

But as Lutz says:

"The tiny format and the lack of pin registration causes the masks to be uneven, but it looks very experimental"

These days I'd love to see that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the nice comments. If there are any questions about the work of Lutz Auhage, please don't hesitate to send atoll medien an e-mail (info (at) atollmedien.de). We will forward this to Lutz.

The book has been made as a private photo book by Lutz. One day, he appeared here in the office of schmalfilm magazine, showed his book and we have been so impressed by his work that we immediately decided to print a certain amount of these books. It was made with Apple software on iphoto. Do you know about the costs of an Apple photo book? For Lutz and for the publishing house this is just a labour of love.

In fact, atoll medien will present a handbook about Super 8 within the next weeks. More about this project in a few days.

Thanks for the nice comments. If there are any questions about the work of Lutz Auhage, please don't hesitate to send atoll medien an e-mail (info (at) atollmedien.de). We will forward this to Lutz.

The book has been made as a private photo book by Lutz. One day, he appeared here in the office of schmalfilm magazine, showed his book and we have been so impressed by his work that we immediately decided to print a certain amount of these books. It was made with Apple software on iphoto. Do you know about the costs of an Apple photo book? For Lutz and for the publishing house this is just a labour of love.

In fact, atoll medien will present a handbook about Super 8 within the next weeks. More about this project in a few days.

Hello Jurgen , when you say a handbook is this going more into details ?

Hey retoxproductions,

Super 8 Scope is a little coffee table book. We will not produce it in any digital format. Its a gem - and one should have it in one's hands... :)

Concerning the handbook about Super 8: More details within the next weeks...

My copy arrived a few weeks ago. Very rich quality, typical of the work we've all come to expect from Atoll Media. I enjoyed perusing this short but interesting work of Mr. Lutz. I was hoping for more details, perhaps larger photos, but then, I do such a variety of laboratory taskings here myself....only need to go to work to delve any deeper into it. I'll say this for certain, the book leaves the reader wanting more! And it will help stimulate a filmmaker's ideas and perhaps make some considering doing more of their own special effects work themselves. Thank you for making this available.

Best regards,

Martin Baumgarten

• 1 month later...