Lighting old classroom FOG, LIGHT STREAKS. Roger Deakins style

TheodorTS

Hi!

I am a DP in a norwegian film wich taks place i an old 1800´s style clasroom.

I really want to create cind of a yello ("red fog" style Roger Deakins) light throughout the room, with volumetric lightstreaks comming from the windows (like the picture illustraded)

Any ideas concerning equpment, posisoning (the room is total square and we have a flat ground outside the windows to place many lights) of the lights, gels, smoke/fog, etc!

il_volumlight_applied.jpg

- Theo :)

• Premium Member

You'll need some kind of "atmosphere," in the room, generally a bit of smoke, else you won't see the beams of light at all, it has to be evenly distributed in the room as well. once You've got that you just need a failr directional source light to get a "beam," such as a fresnel, for something as you pictured, however, I'd go with PARs with VNSP or NS bulbs for "harder," streaks or you can use the same fresnels (12 or 18K normally) just move them further away to make them more of a point source.

You'll need some kind of "atmosphere," in the room, generally a bit of smoke, else you won't see the beams of light at all, it has to be evenly distributed in the room as well. once You've got that you just need a failr directional source light to get a "beam," such as a fresnel, for something as you pictured, however, I'd go with PARs with VNSP or NS bulbs for "harder," streaks or you can use the same fresnels (12 or 18K normally) just move them further away to make them more of a point source.

Thanks,

Yes, that sounds logic! I think some PARs with good bulbs should do the trick. But any tips regarding lighting the rest of the room, its not that big, and if i do it wrong maybe the streaks dissapear if i light to mutch inside?

I´m shooting og 16mm film btw :)

Thanks,

Yes, that sounds logic! I think some PARs with good bulbs should do the trick. But any tips regarding lighting the rest of the room, its not that big, and if i do it wrong maybe the streaks dissapear if i light to mutch inside?

I´m shooting og 16mm film btw :)

Well, since you are doing a period peice I would say that the window(s) would be doing most of the work as far as lighting the scene. Maybe a few practicals insde the classroom here and there, but if you had a strong enough source coming through the window, I'd try first to do a bounce using that light, back into the scene. the smoke should lift the over all ambience and sice it's a small room you don't have a huge space to fill. Maybe a 1200HMI for an edge on the subject(s).

without pics that's as far as I can go