strange red blotch on RED footage

Rob Wilton

Dear all,

shooting with the RED camera (mysterium chip), Ive come across strange red blotches on my footage on occasions when I flare the lens.

Does anybody know anything about this? and does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get rid of it?

I shoot a lot of music videos and flaring the lens is quite a common thing to do, but theses blotches dont look pleasing enough to the eye for me style it out.

They pop up now and again and I cant seem to understand how.

Here is a screenshot I took from a music video. Not the best quality image, but you can see the red blotches. And thats only really with daylight coming in, not even a light pinging down the barrel of the lens....

any suggestions are welcome

cheers

Rob

Do the blobs move as the camera pans? Are they affected by movement within the frame? Some of the early RED tests that Claudio Miranda shot showed some very strange artifacts from flares. They have since been taken offline, but were similar to what you're seeing.

Do the blobs move as the camera pans? Are they affected by movement within the frame? Some of the early RED tests that Claudio Miranda shot showed some very strange artifacts from flares. They have since been taken offline, but were similar to what you're seeing.

If I remember correctly they did move as we panned. And yes when the lead singer covered the frame more, the blobs would disappear.