kitchen/night

hello,

i'm lighting a student short film this saturday and i have some difficulties lighting a specific set.

for some reasons, the director doesn't want any practical lights inside the frame whatsoever. the action takes place at night in a kitchen where an old man is arguing with his grand-son.

i need to give it a soft/clean look but still maintain it contrasty. i dont have any pictures of the kitchen except the one attached.

this is two interiors shots we did in a studio setup (kitchen and toilet) and one flash back, just to give you an idea about the overall look of the movie.

im not asking for a solution, but maybe directions/tips, i'm just stuck on this scene and cant seem to find a way to light it.

one more thing, i want to avoid any moon light thing.

hope i made myself clear, excuse my bad english :) ..

the grandfather and the son will be sitting on the table in the kitchen.

thank you in advance

cheers

post-33253-080571000 1291932339.jpg

• Premium Member

Why not go for a street-light look from outside, with a little bit of an eye light and a rim comming in from another room. hell you could even make a rim a "tv flickering" in another room and have some fun with audio.

Aside from that you could do a totally "dark," "soft top ambiance," to make it look like all the lights are off in the room with perhaps a slash of "moon," in the bg.

Or if you had the right prop in the bg, like a green digital alarm clock, you can do the ambience with a digital green or red alarm clock as a rim light, which could be interesting.

or the guy could be insane, cover himself in tin foil and hop in the microwave.... plenty of light then!

this is the pictures i couldnt upload yesterday...

adrian i thought about the street lamp thing but didnt want to go for that choice. i like the microwave thing though :P ...i know there are plenty of alternatives, just cant see it this time, it happens no?

i'll be running some tests today c what will be the most interesting thing to do for this movie.

thanks anyways

post-33253-041305600 1291973389.jpg