anamorphic feature with Alexa

nacho lopez

Hi all.

I´m preparing a film for February with the Alexa.

The director wants and I´m agree to have a final image format of 2.35.

What is the best way to get 2.35 with the Alexa, I know is not the best but perhaps the less worst.

Have the wiewfinder of the camera 2.35 preview? I say the lines of the cache.

How about to do this is post, to have the release copy in anamorphic?

Any one have done this? even with the red.

Thank you very much!

Nacho López Fuentes

www.nachodp.com

I can only tell how this works with Red. You switch to 4.5k widescreen for using spheric lenses. Using anaorphotic lenses you go to 4k ANA to stretch the image to 1:2.4 in the viewfinder and HDMI outputs for framing. That´s all. I am pretty sure there is not much to it when you shoot with the Alexa.

When you are using anamorphotic lenses you can just take the squeezed image via DPX and print it whereas going with spheric lenses you have one optical step for release. Might be done in post. I just recall S35 needs that and since you shoot digital equivalent it will be similar in my opinion. Of course not counting audio issues.

If you wish to maximize the use of the camera's 16x9 sensor, then you could use a Hawk 1.3x squeeze anamorphic lens. This mild squeeze is still easy enough to operate with uncorrected, yet when the image is de-squeezed in post you will have a 2.35 frame that utilized all over the camera's sensor.

• 4 weeks later...

If you wish to maximize the use of the camera's 16x9 sensor, then you could use a Hawk 1.3x squeeze anamorphic lens. This mild squeeze is still easy enough to operate with uncorrected, yet when the image is de-squeezed in post you will have a 2.35 frame that utilized all over the camera's sensor.

Perfect Idea.

I'd love to see framegrabs of Anamorphic lenses compared to spherical lenses on the alexa.

The Alexa doesn't desqueeze the image for the viewfinder or other outputs, but the Hawk 1.3x lenses will cover the sensor. There are boxes that can be used with the HD output for proper monitoring of the image.

For full anamorphic support, the ALEXA-OV model will have an optical viewfinder and a taller sensor to properly interact with 2x squeeze lenses. But that model is some time off.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Patrick Thomas King

The beauty of the firmware... Demand from the end-user i.e Option to squeeze output on either 1.3x or 2x EVF, MON OUT, REC OUT etc, will no doubt appear in a future firmware release.