American Cinematographer- Old issues

Joseph Konrad

Hi all,

I am trying to track down old issues of American Cinematographer. I am especially interested in all of the 70s issues. After those I am looking for 60s and 80s.

Unfortunately it seems these are incredibly hard to get. I looked at the ASC site under back issues, and they want minimum $75 for ONE magazine. Many are $100, and some are more.

Does anyone know of any kind of digital archive or CD-ROM I could buy somewhere that has scans of these magazines? Something like the National Geographic CD-ROMs?

I think the information in these old magazines is invaluable. Since I was born in 1990, obviously I wasn't around to buy these the first time around.

Thanks,

Joe

• Premium Member

They aren't stored yet in a digital form. I've bought most of the 1970's issues over the years for about $5 each, mostly at a used bookstore in Burbank that doesn't exist anymore. I've seen people try to sell whole collections on the internet.

If you are in Los Angeles, you can read them at various libraries -- SRLF at UCLA, Herrick Library (AMPAS), USC and AFI has them, etc.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am trying to track down old issues of American Cinematographer. I am especially interested in all of the 70s issues. After those I am looking for 60s and 80s.

Unfortunately it seems these are incredibly hard to get. I looked at the ASC site under back issues, and they want minimum $75 for ONE magazine. Many are $100, and some are more.

Does anyone know of any kind of digital archive or CD-ROM I could buy somewhere that has scans of these magazines? Something like the National Geographic CD-ROMs?

I think the information in these old magazines is invaluable. Since I was born in 1990, obviously I wasn't around to buy these the first time around.

Thanks,

Joe

Maybe late. You can go to Questia.com

http://www.questia.com/library/p62024/american-cinematographer/2

They have digitized all issues of American Cinematographer going back to 1973.

• Upvote 1