The well dressed DIRECTOR!!!

I ran across this the other day:

http://60secdirector.blogspot.com/2009/04/how-to-dress-like-director-and-why.html

now what am I gonna do with my riding boots and monocle?

I personally like lightweight safari or hunting style cloths if you will which are tough and stand up to the rigors of the great outdoors but still stay cool in this inferno of a summertime desert and a wide brimmed hat as being blond, I burn easily.

I also like hiking boots because they're comfortable but hold up out in the field. 'Course I'm not married to any particular look, I usually dress appropriately for the conditions but I gotta say a black t-shirt, jeans and tennis shoes quite frankly, are at best boring at worst make you look like one of the PAs. I kinda almost automatically rebel against the whole idea of a "director's uniform". I feel a director should show a little style. My own personal opinion. B)

• Premium Member

Dress in whatever gear is appropriate for the weather and people will respect that... If I see a director getting heat stroke because he doesn't know how to dress for the sun, or gets sick because he doesn't know how to dress for the cold, well, I can tell you that my estimation of his intelligence starts to go down...

I do sometimes miss the day and age when key crew members wore white shirts and neckties on a movie set. Not that I'd want to wear a tie on a movie set...

Truth is that while you want to dress nice for work, you will invariably ruin your clothes on a movie shoot, so don't wear something so expensive that you are going to freak out when you find that you've been leaning on a fresh-painted fence rail, or that splattering fake blood has ruined your pair of shoes.

But otherwise, dress however you want. Just don't wear open-toed shoes on a film set.

Most directors I know dress comfortably and casually. Some have a bit of a uniform, or else they just have a small selection in their closet, it may be a black t-shirt or a certain jacket, whatever.

As for shoes, wear something that you can stand in all day comfortably, but also bring specialized shoes for the terrain. I had to buy a pair of cowboy boots for my Texas movie shoot because it's the best thing for standing in tall grass full of burrs and stickers. I also bought a bunch of lightweight quick-dry hiking shirts and pants to handle the heat and humidity, the best investment I ever made in clothes.

• Premium Member

I worked once with a guy who had just moved up to DP'ing with a big crew, and had to break himself of the habit of doing everything himself. His trick was to dress all in white, and try to stay clean at the end of the day.

-- J.S.

I think my ascot and beret is appropriate for any location and in all forms of weather.

I once wore a suit to a TIFF party, every one laughed and said, "who's the banker?"

R,

• Premium Member

Black Levi 501s. Absolutely the only article of name brand clothing I have ever or will ever buy, because they do actually live up to the "quality clothing lasts" motto.

I also have a grey Berghaus fleece which is at least ten years old and seems to keep holding together.

In the UK, snowboarding trousers. Hanging around outside chills to the bone in no time at this time of year and something you can pull on over your jeans avoids the indignity of long underwear.

But nobody here will ever have seen any of this, since in LA the dress code changes entirely because it's so warm.

Wanna hear something bizarre? One of the last things I read last night was this thread. I woke this morning with memories of a dream I had overnight of me deciding to wear my nice linen pants with nice shoes and a linen shirt to work. Bad choice as, in the dream, I wound up trudging through a path caked with mud. Weird, huh?

I think that what's important to keep in mind for anyone on a movie set is that it is a essentially a factory environment, only instead of having the same environmental conditions to return to every day, nearly every day can bring different situations to dress for, even when you're shooting interiors. So putting on nicer clothes may be appropriate SOMETIMES, for the most part, it's more important to show your understanding of safety and "wiseness" as it relates to dressing properly for the occasion. Granted, "nice" doesn't always have to mean a button-down shirt and slacks. It can mean having higher cost/quality raingear as opposed to a cheap poncho, for instance.