Aaton's hair free gate... gate check not necessary?

Marc Roessler

Aaton advertises their cameras as having the "hair free gate". The idea is that there is no horizontal running pressure bar at the top and bottom of the gate and thus any fluff/dust is much less likely to be caught there.

Sounds good. And up to now it worked perfectly with the XTR, whereas I sometimes (very seldom..) did have a small hair at the top of the gate (bottom of picture) with my Arri 16S.

Do you do a gate check with the Aaton? Has anyone ever encountered a hair in the gate with an Aaton?

Thanks,

Marc

Edited by Marc Roessler

• Premium Member

It does seem really rare but can happen. It seems like the hairs you do find are more of the type that will stick near the opening via "static". Yes, I would do a gate check after each set-up. Having said that, I did lots of B-roll recently for a film on an Aaton and would go through a whole 400ft roll without checking because the takes were long, and we didn't have one issue. Once for a few scenes there was something (a chip maybe) on the far right of the image that I couldnt see by checking the gate. Zooming in 1% on the image took care of it though.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

I can tell you from first hand experience that there are hairs with Aaton (or with any motion picture film camera for that matter). To claim otherwise is irresponsible. I cannot tell you how many gate hairs we had with the 2 perf Penelope on The Fighter. It was an everyday struggle.

Edited by Gregory Irwin

Hairs in the gate, like fast film, emulsion scratches, are problems that were there at the beginning, will be there 'til the end.

Like firearms and law enforcement, like stool samples and nursing, like chald/dry erase and teaching, just part of getting your hands dirty with the medium.

Gregory: You're a valuable asset to the board having first-hand experience with 2-perf. I know you're not the editor, colorist for the film, BUT, how did automatic software do with hairs? Digital ice obviously wouldn't work since it's encoded into the emulsion of the film, but I'd think some matting software out there would have an easy time of detecting it, no?

You know, someone really out to look into designing magazines, camera bodies with clean-room (positive pressure, keeps dust from entering) blowers inside. Of course the throat of the magazine, camera would still be a weak point.

I've been to two or three labs now that had clean rooms (wish I had one myself). I've been told they aren't perfect, but they seem like a great time-saver for this sort of thing, if of course this sort of thing can be miniaturized affordably.

I'm not a degree-holding engineer, but someone with HVAC experience and a BA in mechanical engineering should be able to say how difficult this would be to incorporate into a magazine and a camera body. . .

As to irresponsible advertising: Kodak, all the camera manufacturers, Fuji, labs are all guilty of it.

Any company that recommends their 500T (most expensive aka most profitable) stock to 16mm filmmakers is irresponsible. 7219 is the WORST stock for HD transfers, green screens, but it is the most popular, sold because that's what makes Kodak the most money. Same thing with Eterna 500 Fuji. Camera companies, rental houses often pitch their most expensive models. Is it the best choice for a cash-strapped film or a student film? Almost certainly not.

Unfortunately, there's always a conflict of interest when money is involved and a commission, rent has to be paid. . .

Edited by K Borowski