Floor Stand Extend Long Arm China Ball

Ronald Gerald Smith

Hey All,

For this location, I can't mount anything on the ceiling. I need to have everything on stands. I need to however have a china ball above a certain spot, and I need room for a coffee table and for the dolly to pass through. So I need to have a stand and a really long arm extending and then a china ball at the end.

What is the best way to do this? Please explain step by step with all of the items that I need. I'm a novice.

Hey All,

For this location, I can't mount anything on the ceiling. I need to have everything on stands. I need to however have a china ball above a certain spot, and I need room for a coffee table and for the dolly to pass through. So I need to have a stand and a really long arm extending and then a china ball at the end.

What is the best way to do this? Please explain step by step with all of the items that I need. I'm a novice.

A menace arm is certainly an option, but for a novice that's potentially a fair amount of weight you're putting over your talent, and thus potentially dangerous. Also, it's possibly overkill considering how light a china ball is (the rest of the rig will be far heavier)

What about the simplest of simple solutions? Tape - just get a role of 2" photo black and tape the hell out of the cable, just remember to 'H' the tape for support.

another possibility is to see if there are a couple of architectural elements (eg columns) you could tie a rope between, and then hang the china ball off of it.

I took this statement, "For this location, I can't mount anything on the ceiling.", literally. In addition, no location photo or architectural details were provided.

By that same token, a wall spreader, either speedrail or 2x lumber type would be far heavier than the paper lantern as well. If your not familiar with them and the inherent risk of damaging the walls, they are a bad choice. They're not called "wall spreaders", without good reason.

Maybe linked grip arms and a C stand, would provide sufficient reach.

Edited by JD Hartman

Tape is probably the fastest way to put the china ball up. But if you think the ball might need to move around a bit or that the 1 china ball might become a chine ball and oh wait can we add a pepper oh and a inkie you might want to make a goal post.

all you need is 2 stands (3 riser combo, high roller, or mombo depending on how high you want to go and if you want it easy to move around.) a piece of 1 1/2" or 1 1/4" speed rail that will span the room, and 2 ears or big ben clamps to mount the speed rail to the stands. Then uses some #2 grip clips along the top so you can use the V top part to run your cable and you can tie off the china ball where ever you want it. And if say you need to add a small light or 2 you now have a mounting point for them, just add a pipe clamp.

post-44532-0-03797600-1293182181.jpg