Sony PMW-F3L vs. RED-One ???

Fred Magilicutti

Hi everybody.

I hope everyone is having a great Xmas, and a terrific New Year to come.

I was just curious to know what you all thought of this new, upcoming, Sony PMW-F3L Super 35mm Full HD Compact Camcorder, and how it stacks up against the RED-One.

This new camcorder sure looks good, with great specs, a good price, and completely professional. It just may give RED a run for the money.

Check it out here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...m_Full_HD.html

Any opinions, and especially any spec comparisons, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time.

I don't know if I'd say this competes with any of the Red cameras. At best, its a step up from using a 35mm lens adapter on an EX-3, but ultimately its still recording MPEG-2 35Mb/s 4:2:0 (when you record on-board to SxS cards).

It all depends on your wants and needs. If all you want is shallow depth-of-field out of an easy-to-use ENG camera and don't need the flexibility of RAW or the overall expense of the Red, then this is probably the camera for you. But get the Red if you want something higher quality. Red footage properly shot and downsampled to 1080p looks very nice.

Edited by Ravi Kiran

• Premium Member

I don't know if I'd say this competes with any of the Red cameras. At best, its a step up from using a 35mm lens adapter on an EX-3, but ultimately its still recording MPEG-2 35Mb/s 4:2:0 (when you record on-board to SxS cards).

Hi,

When Mcgreggor did a back to back between an EX3 & Red the images looked surprisingly similar. People mix images between 5DMKII, EX3, RED & Film every day and get away with it.

When Mcgreggor did a back to back between an EX3 & Red the images looked surprisingly similar. People mix images between 5DMKII, EX3, RED & Film every day and get away with it.

I agree, Red and EX3 can be graded to intercut very well.

I will say that the Sony F3L, along with Panasonic's AG-AF100, seem to be good options for people who want something better than a camera with a 35mm lens adapter (which I personally dislike) for shallow DOF but not as expensive or complicated as the Red.