Film Program at UT Austin

Does anyone have any experience with the film program at UT Austin? I am looking at attending in a year or so, and would like any practical information you all can give. Any advice on Austin Filmworks would be appreciated as well.

I want to learn cinematography and work hands-on. I am very interested in a practical film school, with theory secondary. While I am interested in and recognize the value of film history, it is actual camera work that excites me and not becoming a teacher/critic/theorist.

• 1 month later...

I'm applying there for next fall as a cinematographer and it's among my top choices, maybe even number one.

Apparently the school is a bit more alternative/documentary than say, Florida or USC, but they emphasize hands-on getting to know the gear as well as anywhere else, particularly in the first year. Unfortunately for me, it's also super competitive, but those I know who've attended (as undergrad and graduate) have said very good things. I believe there is some theory there, though, whereas FSU, for instance, teaches virtually none form what I understand.

• 1 month later...

I was accepted for the fall for an MFA and am visiting in a month. I'll let you know my impressions then. I'm not sure what to expect, but I've heard good things about the school and the culture in Austin. Austin requires you do some documentary work and take classes outside your concentration, not sure that's what you want or not.

I don't think the program is tops for cinematography specifically (since, well, AFI pretty unequivocally is), but I've got some directing and theory-related tendencies so I don't want a hardcore cinematography conservatory as much as you might and the program seems like a good balance between hands-on stuff and theory, at least for me. AFI is generally for people who've already studied or worked in film for quite some time, too, and want to hone one very specific part of their craft.

I don't know your level of experience; if you're already very experienced with film and have the money AFI may be worth checking out. I very highly recommend checking out FSU's film school. They're very intense, relatively affordable, and have no theory or documentary focus. Very genre-centric, relative to other places. They seem to be the fastest track to a comprehensive education in directing or lighting, and they pay for film and have great gear and the faculty seems strong and no-BS. Tons of structure and conservatory style.

Honestly it's all what you make of it, so visit and apply all over.

• 1 month later...

UT is a good school, especially for documentary, as they have some of the best documentary professors.

Look for the crowd to be mostly indie. There's not as many filmmakers who are interested in mainstream works, and most of the professors' works are very experimental and indie in nature.

With that being said, UT is a good school with good resources. Probably not going to be as good as Los Angeles, but it's set in a great film boom town.

Anymore questions? Just talk to me.