EX Cameras - Moire?

barryagilbert

Hi All,

I need to do a shoot featuring the electronic billboards in Times Square, and doing a test with a 5D noticed tons of moire. Budget is low but could afford an EX-3 but wanting to confirm that I should encounter less moire with an EX.

Thanks,

Barry

• Premium Member

Hi All,

I need to do a shoot featuring the electronic billboards in Times Square, and doing a test with a 5D noticed tons of moire. Budget is low but could afford an EX-3 but wanting to confirm that I should encounter less moire with an EX.

Thanks,

Barry

Yes, you would.

Though it's hard to tell here, this is a crop of an HD frame of a test I shot on the Canon T2i versus the EX3:

Canon:

Cropped%20Canon%20Focus.jpg

EX3:

Cropped%20Sony%20EX3%20Focus.jpg

If you look carefully at the lines, you can see that after a certain point, there is false detail from moire with the Canon, you aren't actually seeing the lines anymore. For example, look at the square of lines in the C section -- on the Canon, that's all moire.

• Premium Member

You'll notice that the 5D has big problems with horizontals, but not so much with verticals, while the EX is equally good with both. That's because in order to work fast enough for motion, the 5D merely skips lines. IIRC, it only uses one line out of four. You definitely want the EX for this.

-- J.S.