Arriflex 16 BL. power unit

Igor Calsina

Hello,

I have a Arriflex 16 Bl, but no have a battery pack, or a power supply. In the camera at control unit, I connect the correct multipin cable, but in the end of the cable I have a male conector with 4 pins.

¿ Anybody knows wich voltage I need to apply in all the four pins to fed the camera correctly. Or anybody have a schematic diagram, or electronic schema ?

Thankyou very much.

• Premium Member

The connector is called an XLR-4, they're readily available from places like DigiKey.com. Pin #1 is the negative/common, Pin #4 is positive 12 Volts DC. Pins 2 and 3 were used for sync pulse and bloop in the old days, you can ignore them.

-- J.S.

The Arriflex 16BL requires 12VDC to operate. I've used it with battery belts up to 14V with no problem (a freshly-charged NiCad Battery belt measures 14.4V).

The standard 4-pin XLR Wiring Configuration is 1=Black, 4=Red, Pins 2 & 3 are NOT used.

Good luck!

:-J

Hello,

I have a Arriflex 16 Bl, but no have a battery pack, or a power supply. In the camera at control unit, I connect the correct multipin cable, but in the end of the cable I have a male conector with 4 pins.

¿ Anybody knows wich voltage I need to apply in all the four pins to fed the camera correctly. Or anybody have a schematic diagram, or electronic schema ?

Thankyou very much.

Hello,

thank you everybody.

The camera works correctly. But now I have more questions:

Is possible to camera works at reverse?

I think so, but I no have idea what use to do it. Maybe using a special unit.

And I see below the window, a very little hole, and inside there are a lamp, perhaps is the mark sistem?

The last question, any body knows where can I find the magnetic recording unit for the camera?

Thank you so much.

• Premium Member

I don't remember ever running reverse on a BL. The MOS Arri's were reversible, so we used them for that.

That probably is the bloop light, watch it while you turn the camera on and off a few times. It should blink during the turn-on.

The internal magnetic recording unit is very rare. I've only ever seen one. Watch e-bay, but it's not likely to be found. Even if you had one, you'd also need to find mag striped film.

-- J.S.

• 2 months later...

Say I wanted to power a 16BL (12v motor) on a Steadicam with 14.4v Anton Bauer batteries. Am I at risk of damaging the camera doing this? Would there be any way to do this safely (e.g. I don't know if it's possible to convert the 14.4v to 12v)?