How to load a bolex 16 pro

James collins

Hello,

I recently purchased a bolex 16 pro off of eBay. I got the camera, and the instruction booklets are in German. There are some English instructions but the translation is hard to follow.

I have ran the camera without film, the person I got it from sent a roll of film with the camera. I have been trying to get a hold of the person I got it from(I just got it yesterday) but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Just wondering if anyone knew of a step by step guide to load the camera?

Also I only have sync with 25 fps, and I knew when I bought the camera there isn't a lot of support for it, but I wondered if anyone knew or had any hints on servicing the camera. I have a nagra, and I think I can set it for 25 fps, I also have a mag tape recorder which I am going to research if I can set it for 25 fps. But I just thought it would be nice to have crystal sync at 24 fps.

Also I would love to get a zoom lens that I could operate with the grips so any info on lenses that would work with the zoom controls would be great i.e. name, model, manufacturer of lens etc.

Any info or help would be appreciated.

• Premium Member

David W. Samuelson, Motion Picture Camera Data, Focal Press:

Mag. is upright when lettering on footage indicator reads correctly.

Remove left lid of mag. by releasing three cornered safety catch and rotating mag. lid 90° anti-clockwise. (Note three-cornered safety catch on take-up side has a small felt insert for identification in the dark.)

Place film in mag., thread end through light trap, re-set footage indicator lever against film and replace lid.

If film is in take-up side of mag. remove and can-up in the dark.

In the light pull out beginning of film, locate under sprung holder with perfs. located on ends. Tear off loose end of film whild holding down holder.

Place an empty core on spindle on take-up side of mag. and check footage indicator lever is resting against it. Replace lid without threading film further.

Connect camera to electronic control unit, check module is in place and knob is set to com-mag if single system sound recording required.

With camera door closed attach mag. to rear by engaging at bottom, hinging upwards and locking it.

Turn loading knob fully clockwise and hold until yellow light goes off and camera stops running. Return loading knob to original position. Camera is now fully threaded and ready for shooting. The loose end of film will attach itself to take-up core automatically during first take.

Mag. cannot be removed from camera until film is completely run-out or until camera stops running. Mag. cannot be re-used until film in take-up side has been removed and an empty core fitted.

Note daylight spool loading film may be used for take-up after removing spinning flange/core adaptors and locking footage indicator arms out of the way. When using spools for take-up, film end must be manually attached to spool after threading through camera. In replacing spinning flanges note one for take-up side has a white dot for identification purposes (similar to white dot on safety catch).

Hope this helps.

Hello,

That helped. I was able to get the magazine on the camera. I turned the loading knob clockwise, but the yellow light never went off. I ran the camera for a little while and then it quit running.

Now I can't get the motor to run, I don't know what is wrong or how to get the motor running. The light on the control box/battery pack is lit.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

• Premium Member

Hi James,

it's a complicated bugger, the 16 Pro.

I don't have one in front of me, but I have the user manual.

The viewfinder has a diaphragm which closes when you remove pressure from the eyecup. You need to depress the eyecup with your eye to open it. With age sometimes this mechanism can get a little stiff.

The other possibility is that the power cable was removed while the camera was running and the mirror shutter is not in the viewing position. If you look through the lens port and can see the aperture, the mirror is not reflecting an image to the viewfinder. In this case, power the camera and briefly run it. The mirror shutter should then stop in the correct spot.

There are also various viewfinder positions that change the viewing field, and allow a ground glass image to be replaced by an aerial image. I'm not sure if being halfway between settings might block the image completely, but just in case make sure the viewfinder is rotated to a proper setting.

The zoom that was designed for use with the 16 Pro is the Angenieux 12-120mm f/2.2. The Schneider- Variogon 10-100mm f/2 is also compatible.

Dom,

Pushing my eye into the viewfinder worked. I really appreciate the help. I would never have known that.

Do you know where I could get a user manual? I got some literature with the camera but it is in German. Some of the info is in English but the translation is really hard to read.

Anyway thanks again

Also I would love to get a zoom lens that I could operate with the grips so any info on lenses that would work with the zoom controls would be great i.e. name, model, manufacturer of lens etc.

Any info or help would be appreciated.

Hi James,

I don't have a manual, but if Dom agrees to scan his, I'd love to have a copy!

As for lenses, zoom or otherwise, you are out of luck : it's one of the big limitations of the 16Pro, as it was only sold with either an Angé 12-120 or a Schneider 10-100 zoom. I believe there was also an optional wide angle (Zeiss 9mm?), but it would be even rarer than the two previous to find (and I spend enough tie on eBay to be able to say they are rare indeed). The problem is that not only you'd want functional servo controls, but the 16Pro has a specific mount, if I'm not mistaken.

If you're not happy with your lens, your best bet would then be to have a technician either build or adapt the mount on your lens to another one. But keeping the servo controls is unlikely unless you find another lens with a very similar form factor. One possibility would be to trade your older f:2.2 12-120 (if you have the Angenieux model) for one of the more recent f:2-2.2 model with a better lens coating (serial number c. 14xxxxx, as opposed to your 12xxxxx). Both lenses have exactly the same shape, so swapping one for the other should be relatively easy and keep the servo controls.

B.