The end is nigh

Phil Rhodes

I actually quite like Bollywood...

Sorry!

No need to apologize Phil, I wasn't attacking anyone who likes the genre. Rather the genre itself. From what I have seen(which admittedly isn't much)they are a visual mess, stealing ideas and themes from popular western movies. There's an action movie then all of a sudden they break into song and dance. WTF?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Oh my gosh I know something David Mullen doesn't know, it's the Book Of Revelation. There is no "s" on the end. :D

R,

Actually, it's almost always called "The Revelation" or "Revelation." No "the Book Of."

:P

• Premium Member
There's an action movie then all of a sudden they break into song and dance. WTF?

Yeah! Fantastic, isn't it?

When I used to work as a projectionist I'm embarrassed to admit that my attitude, on the day a Bollywood movie turned up, was that it would be parochial and poorly-done. I was extremely wrong - it opened in a blaze of crowd-pleasing CGI and Bhangra and the audience, comprising almost entirely ex-pats from the Indian subcontinent, clearly had a whale of a time. It was really nicely done and I'm sorry I can't remember what it was called. It was great.

If you can stand an action movie that suddenly turns into a musical, of course.

P

• Premium Member

Oh, and further to the above, here's a little picture I found on the Odeon website, a major cinema chain in the UK.

britfilm.png

I'm not quite sure where to start with this, but I think Odeon should probably start by not showing 98% foreign film - then they might be able to blandish me to watch local produce without coming off as massive, massive hypocrites.

Oh, and further to the above, here's a little picture I found on the Odeon website, a major cinema chain in the UK.

britfilm.png

I'm not quite sure where to start with this, but I think Odeon should probably start by not showing 98% foreign film - then they might be able to blandish me to watch local produce without coming off as massive, massive hypocrites.

But the question is, what IS "foreign" film? Harry Potter was produced by Warner Bros which means, ostensibly, that it is an American movie and they were merely using the UK as a location. The King's Speech was produced by The Weinstein Company, also an American company.

Despite Bollywood's AMOUNT of movies made, they don't seem to be very popular:

According to the Financial Times:

http://blogs.ft.com/beyond-brics/2011/01/10/bollywood-to-hollywood-outsource-production/

India’s domestic movie industry makes around 900 films a year, compared to the 100 made in the US, making Bollywood the world’s most prolific film-producing country.

But given the low rate of box-office hits – less than a quarter of them break even. Bollywood’s share in the global $300bn film industry is a mere $3.5bn. If Mumbai can better the movies it produces it is hoped that this will carry across continents.

• Premium Member

I wouldn't call Bollywood stuff bad necessarily, just very highly idiosyncratic, and thus lacking in accessibility.

I also question the figure for films made in the US. Sure, if you count only super-budget stuff, but there must be literally thousands of smaller ones going on. That being the case I wonder if more than 25% of American films break even.

P

All I'm saying Brian is that the US film industry benefits enormously from the ability to sell its product overseas. So few if any of us outside of the USA really see a problem with US films being made in foreign territories and employing non US citizens.

My point is Brian that your country and gov't do not play fair. Even if all American movies where made in the USA it would not help us hold back the tide of American product coming into Canada.

That's fine with me because we employ more foreigners than any other country in the long run.

Does Canada play "fair"? Your government is unbelievably selfish and corrupt. You should fighting against your government and stop worrying about others. Your resources are being sold around the world for pennies and only a few fat white cats are pocketing from it. Don't blame, look at your own.

Edited by Dustin Lindgren

• Premium Member

A handful are made most years. Many of them will be pretentious and boring "issue" movies funded by pseudo-charities like the Film Council, and one of the reasons few tears are being shed over that organisation is that it only ever seemed to fund things that were very obviously doomed to complete commercial failure. Much as I hate to sound like a red-top newspaper, for the past many years the best way to get into filmmaking has been to be a disabled homosexual from an ethnic minority. Not, I hasten to add, that there's anything in the slightest bit wrong with being a disabled homosexual from an ethnic minority, it's just not nearly enough of a hook to hang a film on, regardless of how strongly you feel about it. I mean, I feel strongly about Gillian McKeith, chocolate eclairs, and the budget of the 2012 Olympics, and I'm not going to pretend that anyone would want to pay £8.50 to be exposed to two hours of my opinion on any of those subjects.

But that's not really the problem. Regardless of how good or bad any of it is, it's hard to tell that it's even been made because it simply will not be released.

P

That's fine with me because we employ more foreigners than any other country in the long run.

Actually Canada accepts way more immigrants than any other nation on earth on a per capita basis.

Does Canada play "fair"? Your government is unbelievably selfish and corrupt. You should fighting against your government and stop worrying about others. Your resources are being sold around the world for pennies and only a few fat white cats are pocketing from it. Don't blame, look at your own.

So long as the money is going to "fat white cats" I'm fine with it. :)

R,

Actually Canada accepts way more immigrants than any other nation on earth on a per capita basis.

So long as the money is going to "fat white cats" I'm fine with it. :)

R,

Blah Blah Blah........ Stop the US hate talk. Canadians are exactly the same as Americans. We both rapped the Natives and now were living on borrowed time. I happen to love Canada and will be heading to work in the Revelstoke area for the next 26 days, on Monday. Can't wait to crack a Pilsner and have a rye and ginger when I hit Hope, BC (Location of the movie "First Blood"). Cheers!!!!!!

Edited by Dustin Lindgren

I love all things Canadian, except their POST. It sucks bigtime.

You are 110% correct on that point, I could not agree more. The Canadian postal system is absolutely deplorable!! Just deplorable!! And these people have the unmitigated audacity to go on strike and demand higher wages!!

Americans would never put up with being told you have to drive six miles to a set of boxes to pick up your mail because there is no carrier service. That's what happens here.

R,

You are 110% correct on that point, I could not agree more. The Canadian postal system is absolutely deplorable!! Just deplorable!! And these people have the unmitigated audacity to go on strike and demand higher wages!!

Americans would never put up with being told you have to drive six miles to a set of boxes to pick up your mail because there is no carrier service. That's what happens here.

R,

Our CONservatives are trying hard to turn EVERY government "service" over to for-profit private Corporations. So, while they whine about sending a letter almost anywhere for $.44 cents, they for some reason would prefer to pay FedEx $15.00 for the exact same thing. I don't get it. <_<

... I was not able to theatrically release The Dogfather in Canada because the US studios simply would not allow a Canadian film onto Canadian screens, it's that simple.

How is this possible? Back in the 1940s the Hollywood Studios were forced to sell their ownership of Cinemas to limit their monopoly. The Canadian Cinemas are Canadian owned. The Government in Ottawa or Toronto can force Cinemas to run some Canadian movies.

Cine Plex controls 80% of theatrical releasing in Canada. Currently there are no rules forcing them to carry any Canadian product.

R,