400' magazine loading: process

I am filming a short film on Super 16 this week with my own equipment, an Eclair ACL camera with a 10mm Switar lens and a set of Minolta MD mount lenses. I have done a series of tests to check film, camera, and lenses and though I have some things worked out, I still have a couple major issues and concerns.

1. is that I have only used 100' daylight load spools in the past so this is my first time using 400' core spools. I bought a practice spool and I had no problem loading it correctly in a changing bag and running it on the camera. I just have one question. I was not sure whether or not I have to gaffer tape up the edge of the mag before taking it out of the changing bag. I attempted to do so but was not able to. If this is a necessary step, do any of you have any recommendations for how to tape up the mag easily inside a changing bag?

2. One problem that came up in the test, was that even though we measured all of our shots, some shots went in and out of focus. This seemed to reflect what I saw in the viewfinder but I trusted that the focus markings on the lenses would be correct. This was not the case. I then set up the camera on a different day with a subject and checked if the lenses were properly collimated by setting the diopter on the viewfinder to the one lens I knew was collimated, the Switar 10mm. I found that measured focus and the viewfinder focus differed for most of the MD mount lenses. So my question is, because the MD lenses are not properly collimated, is it safe to focus by viewfinder? Or should I just stop down the lenses and try to only use hyperfocal distance?

I also posted a somewhat more detailed version of my problems on the Eclair forum. It would be good if I can hear a reply to at least one my questions soon. Our first shooting day is this Wednesday so I would hope to hear the opinion of cinematographers who have experienced these issues and may have a solution. Thanks.

I am filming a short film on Super 16 this week with my own equipment, an Eclair ACL camera with a 10mm Switar lens and a set of Minolta MD mount lenses. I have done a series of tests to check film, camera, and lenses and though I have some things worked out, I still have a couple major issues and concerns.

1. is that I have only used 100' daylight load spools in the past so this is my first time using 400' core spools. I bought a practice spool and I had no problem loading it correctly in a changing bag and running it on the camera. I just have one question. I was not sure whether or not I have to gaffer tape up the edge of the mag before taking it out of the changing bag. I attempted to do so but was not able to. If this is a necessary step, do any of you have any recommendations for how to tape up the mag easily inside a changing bag?

No, tape is more to prevent light leaks on bad mags and prevent mags from being accidentally opened. As long as the mag checked out, I wouldn't worry about it. Tape it right after you take it out, in subdued light to be safe.

2. One problem that came up in the test, was that even though we measured all of our shots, some shots went in and out of focus. This seemed to reflect what I saw in the viewfinder but I trusted that the focus markings on the lenses would be correct. This was not the case. I then set up the camera on a different day with a subject and checked if the lenses were properly collimated by setting the diopter on the viewfinder to the one lens I knew was collimated, the Switar 10mm. I found that measured focus and the viewfinder focus differed for most of the MD mount lenses. So my question is, because the MD lenses are not properly collimated, is it safe to focus by viewfinder? Or should I just stop down the lenses and try to only use hyperfocal distance?

I also posted a somewhat more detailed version of my problems on the Eclair forum. It would be good if I can hear a reply to at least one my questions soon. Our first shooting day is this Wednesday so I would hope to hear the opinion of cinematographers who have experienced these issues and may have a solution. Thanks.

Those markings are just numbers on a ring screwed to the barrel. If the ring comes loose from its attaching screws, the numbers will all be off. You can try to figure out how far off they are on the ring if that is the only problem.

Eye focus is USUALLY safe with a viewfinder, but THAT can go out of calibratoin too. Maybe someone more knowledgeable with this type of camera can be of more help here.

I'd do another short test (it can be slop where you develop B&W neg film in a bucket yourself,) and test focus all by eyed to see if that is accurate. Just buy some Dektol and stop bath at a camera store and a roll of XX.