any Nikon D-SLR for video?

Yaron Weinstein

I have worked on a few commercials with the canon's, I haven't tried any shooting with any of the DSLR's yet myself. For someone who hasn't done any real research into the technology how does the D7000 compare to the Canon D5 and D7? or is it the 5D and 7D? don't get me wrong. I'd rather shoot film, but it looks as though the DSLR technology is here to stay and producers will do anything they can to save money on film stock and a film to tape/hard drive/digital transfers any day.

best

Tim

• Premium Member

I recently saw a test between 7 DSLR's and the Nikon was the worst of the bunch. Not saying not to go with it, if its what you want/need/money, but according to lots of people, Nikon sucks.

Now, I happen to rather be a Nikon fanboy and have used many of their DLSR's in still photo shoots. I will say that the Canon is MUCH more user friendly. And the fact that they just (in certain circumstances) make better pictures doesn't hurt either!

I recently saw a test between 7 DSLR's and the Nikon was the worst of the bunch. Not saying not to go with it, if its what you want/need/money, but according to lots of people, Nikon sucks.

Now, I happen to rather be a Nikon fanboy and have used many of their DLSR's in still photo shoots. I will say that the Canon is MUCH more user friendly. And the fact that they just (in certain circumstances) make better pictures doesn't hurt either!

Care to expand what you mean by "according to lots of people, Nikon sucks"? Any examples or comparisons?

And could you expand on what certain circumstances Nikon is better.

Hi,

Look at the affordable Nikon D7000.

With friendly greetings,

Pieter

I use a Nikon D300s. You can set the aperture and the camera will set the ISO. I shoot lots of concert photography. The rig and the manual lens with a follow focus will set you back a small fortune. Autofocus will not work. The frame rate is 24fps. Now, before you go investing in the rails, the follow focus, the stereo microphone setup, the monitor, and the follow rig, shoot using only what you have. The built in microphone set to automatic, I use a 70-200 Tamron lens, and I shoot with a plan before I go on location. Granted I shoot in low light using ambient light only. It took me a long time to get the setup just right and it changes with each venue. Before you buy, experiment with whatever camera you have that shoots HD in 1080 and below. Be patient and do your research.

• 1 month later...

So why exactly was it the worst of the bunch? I just purchased a D7000 and have been happy with it so far. Havent shot an extensive amount of video, but what I have shot was great, and I liked it better than when I used a 7 and 5D. But I prefer Nikon glass anyways and have a few from my still background and have accumulated several lenses over the years. Just curious what made it so bad in comparisons.

So why exactly was it the worst of the bunch? I just purchased a D7000 and have been happy with it so far. Havent shot an extensive amount of video, but what I have shot was great, and I liked it better than when I used a 7 and 5D. But I prefer Nikon glass anyways and have a few from my still background and have accumulated several lenses over the years. Just curious what made it so bad in comparisons.

He's probably talking about the Zacuto Shootout, the Nikon preformed well but not as well the as the 7d or GH1. This is contributed to by the fact that it was the d300s nikon the used which only shoots in 720p, the newer d7000 is 1080p though and looks amazing.....i use the 7d with nikkor glass, however in my opinion the best bang for your buck would be a fully hacked GH1.

• 3 weeks later...