Baraka

• Premium Member

"Old"? It was made in the 90's.

It is rare to catch since the theater needs to have 70mm projection capabilities and less and less are around that have them outside of IMAX, which I doubt will ever be showing it with their stuffed corporate blow-ups and 3D filling their schedules. Find the 70mm theaters near you and check their web sites. I saw 2001 in 70mm two years ago at the AFI in Maryland. They are the type of theater that would show it, although the downside is often their screens being too small to take advantage of the format.

Hopefully his new one will be coming out soon! (also on 70mm)

• 4 weeks later...

Originally intended to say oldies or goodies because I've also wanted to see old films like "Sunrise" in their intended glory.

Thanks for the quick response!

I tried looking for Sunrise but irrelevant results returned. What's the IMDB for that film or documentary?

We've been lucky out here in Los Angeles as the American Cinematheque shows it quite often. I recall seeing it two times in less than 6 months at the Aero and Egyptian respectively. That said, it's only Los Angeles so no help there.

Spirit Of Baraka usually has fans keeping tabs on screenings on the site and in e-newsletters.

I hope that once Samsara comes around, maybe we will get a double feature roadshow of some sort. A person has to have dreams, right?

• 2 weeks later...

I can't help you with New York, but as Antti Näyhä points out we've got it hitting our 63-foot-wide screen at the Astor here in Melbourne in just over a week. The print is a glorious Todd-AO 70mm issue that we own, and it's phenomenal. Not to be a fanboi, but there really is a huge improvement in resolution and sharpness in the 65 > 70 handling even over a 35 > 70 blow-up, let alone 35 > 35, and in this print you notice every single detail.

Plus there's the whole other story of Dolby SR Six-Track Magnetic sound...

You know you want to pay a quick visit to Australia :P

On the subject of Samsara, we're informed that a 70mm release is unlikely at this point due to budget constraints - a great shame given the effort of shooting it in 65mm. A key difference is that Baraka was of course finished optically, whereas Samsara (if IMBD is to be trusted) is being finished via an 8K DI. I view that as a bit of a let-down - cheaper for them to get to a BluRay release but making 70mm prints near to impossible because of the cost of 8K film-out to 70mm.

I had the incredible fortune to see a 70mil print of baraka at the aero theatre a couple of months ago.. truly a life changing cinema experience, although I couldnt even imagine it being screened at the dome or even the Egyptian, where the screens are quite a bit bigger than the aeros.

I'd heard this too, but it's a shame all the same that a 70mm print won't be struck.

One wonders if this film wouldn't benefit from the kind of tour that Kevin Smith is doing with "Red State," traveling with the film and charging concert ticket type prices. I'd pay 40 or 50 bucks to see a 70mm film with a Q & A afterwards.