NEVER LET ME GO

Hey I was just wondering if anyone else has seen Never Let Me Go yet and what did you think of it? I saw the film about a week ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Adam Kimmel's cinematography was perfect for the story I thought; beautiful, but helped add to the story rather than take away from it.

As for the story, I loved it! It's a story that doesn't come around very often, though it's a tale about things we've heard before. Among other elements, it's a story about love and the fear of change.

Another thing about this film that really intrigued me was just the fact that when Mark Romanek (Director) and Kazuo Ishiguro (Author) decided to make the film they agreed that they would make it on a very low budget, and choose actors who were younger and less commonly known. I love this about the film just because I'm afraid directors (or perhaps the producers) too often pick actors with bigger names, and in the end it really hurts the film as a whole. I feel choosing to make the film on a low budget forces the filmmakers to base their decisions on the sake of the story, and I greatly admire that in a filmmaker.

Let the discussion begin!

Keira Knightley is very well known. The other two were well on their way up when shooting commenced.

I definitely agree, but I remember seeing/reading somewhere (and I'll post it if I can find it) where it was apparently Kazuo Ishiguro and Mark Romanek's original intension to find actors who were perfect for the roles, without their individual name getting in the way of the performance. In other words, they definitely didn't want to use the stars to push the film's credibility, because of course it would take away from the story.

Also, I believe that when Romanek decided to cast Carey Mulligan and Andrew Garfield, they were still fairly young in the public eye. I think Mulligan was just finishing up on shooting An Education and Garfield had a minor role in The Other Boleyn Girl. We must remember that Romanek had been discussing this with Ishiguro long before they began preproduction. So even though Knightly is a very prestigious actress, the point was that they were not casting with the intention to use the stars fame to help boost the reputation of the film. This was the point I was making, and I wanted to commend Romanek and Ishiguro for doing it in this manner.