AJ-HDX400

Glenn Hanns

• Premium Member

This camera was introduced recently, so I can't imagine there are too many users yet. It's a 60i only camera. I think it is intended more for TV stations, news gathering, ect. Interesting, it is built into the same body as the SDX-900, and records on a 66m cassette in the EX mode (33min 1080i). Based on what I know about Pansonic cameras, it should make a nice picture. It has 1280x720 CCDs and upconverts to 1080i.

Chris Bell

All below is based on the assumption that you are looking for filmstyle, non-newsy/sports looking footage:

If you can't afford the varicam, and can't wait for Panasonic to come out with something else, get an SDX900. No, it's not HD, but are you doing film-outs? We couldn't be happier with the flexibility and beauty of this camera. 24P, 30P and 60i, cine gamma, what else do you need?

My 2 cents.

Jason

• Premium Member
All below is based on the assumption that you are looking for filmstyle, non-newsy/sports looking footage:

If you can't afford the varicam, and can't wait for Panasonic to come out with something else, get an SDX900.  No, it's not HD, but are you doing film-outs?  We couldn't be happier with the flexibility and beauty of this camera.  24P, 30P and 60i, cine gamma, what else do you need? 

My 2 cents.

Jason

We already have the AJD-910 and cant justify the upgrade to SDX900 in the SD range so HD is a good selling point for us to management.

Cheers G.

I just shot with the Varicam. I was very impressed with the image. My beef with it, lies in the post limitations for me. I shot most at 24 fps and then some at 60 fps. Apparently I can only edit online because of the fram rate conversion, and only using firewire capturing.

All the lliterature I've seen says I pretty much have to use the Panasonic 1200A deck to capture. And this is not possible in the online suites available to me.

Overall though I had ZERO issues with the camera itself. Painted an amazing scene with it.

• 3 months later...

it realy sounds like a great camera.

you finds lots of menus knee (point, slope), matrix, master black, black strech, dtl,but only 3 differents gamas.

it's a verry complete cam 16/9 native, progressive or interlace.

i'm not familiar wiyh the varicam but panasonic is doing a great cam with the aj-hdx400.

if you are confortable with the sonys F900 you'll find it easy to use

• 1 month later...
The Euro version does 25p 50i

So could be good camera for indies.

Mike Brennan

Used it last week. It works. 12bit AD helps makes nice smooth picture.

Remember it has advantage of 422 recording of 1440x1080 pixels but ccd is 1280x720.

It is low cost and portable.

We seem to demanding HD product from manufacturers at SD prices.

One day we will not accept anything but 1920x1080 @422 from camera head to TV

Mike Brennan

• 1 month later...
Used it last week. It works. 12bit AD helps makes nice smooth picture.

Remember it has advantage of 422 recording of 1440x1080 pixels but ccd is 1280x720.

It is low cost and portable.

We seem to demanding HD product from manufacturers at SD prices.

One day we will not accept anything but 1920x1080 @422 from camera head to TV

Mike Brennan

Looks like the US Model is 400P the PAL model 9with 25p) is 400E.

This info from the online user manuals, otherwise websites call both models AJ HDX400.

Having a P suffix for NTSC countries and a E for pal countries is a change from P standing for PAL?

Mike Brennan

• 3 months later...
Hi,

Were thinking of buying an affordable HD camera like the AJ-HDX400 for our production co, has anyone used this cam and if so can offer some feedback.

Cheers Glenn.

Hi

Shot a short with it last week in 25P. Loaded Alan Roberts new settings for it. Pix look fab. Only difference is you can't vari the speed. Has 12 bit head, although records 8 bit on board (as does all HD including Cinealta).

The HDX400 has been selling...but most people prefer progressive which this camera is not. So they're going with the SDX900 or taking the plunge and getting the Varicam.

We have the HDX400 in stock in Florida. Feel free to come down to demo it.

Billy DeCola

info@big10media.com

727-490-5057

Does the PAL version really record progresive frames? or does it interlace them on tape like in the dvx100 model?

All true progressive formats capture the frame progessively. The image is then recored as two interlaced fields onto tape (Progressive Segmented Frame... Psf) The important thing is that the capture is progressive, as the motion artifacts will then be the same as if shooting on film. It is irrelevant how it is recorded. Incidentally, film telcine will record two interlaced fields in the same way.