You Knew It Was Coming

Not if you shoot it the professional way -- tape it to a gear head.... ;-)

It's not just that. Remember the strobing effect DSLRs suffer from? While iPhone it 10x worse in that department. Add to that the worst compression artifacts imaginable and the unbelievably soft optics and no gear head is going to save you. Trust me, I tried to work with some iPhone footage for a small insert. We ended up shooting EX3 and degrading it a bit to make it look like iPhone footage.

The iPhone's camera is designed to take pictures and video that looks good on an iPhone's screen. If this film does make it to the big screen it will be interesting to see what the audience reaction is.

• Premium Member

What the DSLR's have is Moire, because their OLPF's aren't designed for the decimation they use in motion mode. If that's also the problem with the iPhone, perhaps some filtering will help. Can you post some of that iPhone stuff?

-- J.S.

What the DSLR's have is Moire, because their OLPF's aren't designed for the decimation they use in motion mode. If that's also the problem with the iPhone, perhaps some filtering will help. Can you post some of that iPhone stuff?

Moire is completely different than strobing. Strobing is related to the refresh rate of the chip and a "digital shutter". I haven't seen moire on iPhone footage. With incredibly soft optics that resolve below the CCD's resolution you don't have to worry about moire.

I don't have that footage handy. And believe me, all possible filtering was tried before the decision was made to re-shoot. Filtering just degrades things more. You can't add quality to the video if it isn't there in the first place.