Bolex Trigger Handle/Grip

Ryan Silva

Bolex neophyte here,

I recently bought a H16-M5 and I was wondering if I could attach a trigger handle made for earlier H16 "round base" models to my flat-base M5. It's an earlier grip that was designed for the H16 Standard/Leader/Deluxe models. I'm a bit wary of purchasing it and then realizing that it won't function properly on the camera's base. I know that Bolex has a great reputation for accessories that one can use on all different sorts of models, I'm just not sure if this particular grip is built to make use of the base due to it's age. If anyone can advise me, I'd be really appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure which earlier style grip you're talking about, but I'm assuming it's the 'surefire' model which was pretty common. What you need is the Declic H handle with the quick release disc. This grip also is threaded on the bottom to attach to a tripod that has a standard screw-in mount. Why not just get the proper handle? They're plentiful on e-bay. Hope this helps-

Actually, the grip is a different type -- it is more of a "pistol grip" than the surefire grip model. It essentially looks like the first grip on this page:

http://www.bolexcoll.../support50.html

The only reason I'm curious if the grip will work on my M5 is because of what great condition the grip is in. Otherwise, I would just purchase the grip on ebay. But it's in such pristine condition that I want to at least know if it'll work with my M5. I would normally just test it, but I'm currently vacationing upstate while he's back in the city, several hours away. I just want to know now if it'll work on M5 so he doesn't have to wait on me to sell it in other venues. He was giving me the courtesy of first dibs, but I just want to make sure he's not waiting for nothing.

I hope that kind of illuminates the situation better, and thanks for the advice anyway, Chris.

Ahhh, I see. My only concern would be that this particular kind of grip activates the camera via the front release. The Declic H uses the side release. The flat base on your M-5 is drilled and tapped under the FRONT leather piece to accept the bracket for mounting the Bolex Matte Box accessory. The old style handle will interfere with this, hence the side release style of the later grips. Older cameras did not have this option, so the old grip wasn't a problem. I would go for the Declic to be safe. It's designed to work with the later accessories. Just something to consider-

• 2 weeks later...

The grip in the picture you refered to will simply NOT work on a flat base Bolex model. You need the flat-topped grips with the quick release disc, or possibly the 'Sure-fire' handgrip (the one where the grip runs nearly parallel to the base of the camera so your wrist is not bent when holding the Bolex, and which triggers the camera through a flexible release cable), although that wold be a very personal preference.

Cheers, B.