CA-1 to PL adapter?

Has anyone had any experiences with the CA-1 to PL mount adapters that are floating around ebay? I've heard from other places that an adapter like this wouldn't allow for infinity focusing. Any other ways of getting a CA-1 lens on a PL mount camera?

Quite right. The inexpensive adapters sold by an eBayer in The Netherlands do not allow infinity focus.

It may be possible to have a custom PL-mount made for your lens but again it will depend whether the physical dimensions of lens will allow such a modification.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

• Premium Member

To say for sure, we'd have to know the flange-focal distance for the CA-1. I tried Google and Wikipedia, and came up empty.

CA-1 was never a good lens mount, it was tempermental and loose. So, if you have any CA-1 lenses, you have to decide whether to get them re-mounted, or preserve them as antiques.

-- J.S.

To say for sure, we'd have to know the flange-focal distance for the CA-1. I tried Google and Wikipedia, and came up empty.

The CA-1 flange-focal distance is 48mm. Don't recall the mount diameter, but it is wider than the Arri std. & bay.

The PL and other Arri flane-focal distance is 52mm.

• 1 month later...

PL Mount is 54mm diameter with a FFD of 52mm

CA-1 Mount is 46mm diameter with a FFD of 48mm.

As already stated, an adapter to fit a PL mount lens on a CA-1 mount camera is not feasible - the lens is already too large to fit in the camera before you've put it in an adapter.

An adapter to fit a CA-1 mount lens on a PL mount camera might be feasible depending on the lens in quesion. The smaller diameter of the lens means there would be a 4mm wall thickness on the adapter, this just leaves the different FFD. To work perfectly the CA-1 lens seating surface needs to be recessed 4mm behind the PL mount seating surface ie. back inside the camera.

In most real world situations I suspect there won't be enough room to actually accomodate the back end of the CA-1 lens body within the available space. However, if you had a small enough diameter lens then it might be possible to get a custom adapter made. Really the lens body would need to be no larger than the CA-1 mount itself. Some of the bolex c-mount lenses seem fairly small diameter, so perhaps if you'd come across one of those which had been modified to CA-1 mount you might be able to get away with it, but I guess the chances of all that are pretty slim! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...