Canon 5DMkII/7D + Compact Primes Spec Commercial

Alex V Wong

• Premium Member

I think it really needs to be edited by someone else. It is way too long, pacing and music edits scream amateur. The color transition doesn't work for me either. Some more subtle camera movement would have added value. Nice otherwise.

Collaborate; you can't and shouldn't do it all.

hi Alex V Wong!

i saw ur ad its very good.am saravanan am a film student i gonna shoot a ad film in black and white. with 5d mark ii camera.

is it good to directly shoot black and white in camera or to do post.

give me ur sugesstions.

Well I shot my commercial in colour but I shot it for black and white, so the lighting and contrast were all shot to prepare it for post black and white grading.

how did you like working with those lenses? i have been kinda drooling over them for a while!

i agree somewhat with vincent, though I think it is quite good as-is, it could better trimmed down a bit. you have some absolutely beautiful footage, the possibility of this looking like a high-end, big budget spot is there. if i didn't think it could be something special then i would just say "great job" and leave it at that, but your footage is worthy of another edit i think.

thank you for sharing this, I have wanted to see those lenses in action.

hi Alex V Wong!

if i shoot color in camera for black and white

wat r the things i hav to take care

Hey Saran, you don't really have to do anything. Just shoot your footage and then in post, use a de-saturate plugin or if you prefer some other plugin to make the footage black and white. As Alex said, he chose shots with high contrast lighting so that they would be more dramatic in B&W. So there are artistic concerns, but you don't have to do anything technical with the camera.

I have worked with people who planned to do B&W, but then changed their mind and kept the color later because it looked so good. And I worked several times where it was not planned and they just decided to use B&W as an effect only after the shoot was done.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Saran, you don't really have to do anything. Just shoot your footage and then in post, use a de-saturate plugin or if you prefer some other plugin to make the footage black and white. As Alex said, he chose shots with high contrast lighting so that they would be more dramatic in B&W. So there are artistic concerns, but you don't have to do anything technical with the camera.

I have worked with people who planned to do B&W, but then changed their mind and kept the color later because it looked so good. And I worked several times where it was not planned and they just decided to use B&W as an effect only after the shoot was done.

Hi, sorry for the late reply.

Jason's right, you dont have to do anything technical in the camera. For artistic reasons, you should decide how you want your footage to look like. I knew I wanted to have a high contrast, over-exposed commercial so I shot it that way. But there's also other factors like costume, makeup etc...

Jason, the compact primes are nice, very robust, nothing bad to say about them at all. The 5D/7D on the other hand....well, depends on how you like to work :)

• 2 months later...

Alex you have a nice vision. Some of the arguments on here (i.e. regarding length and some transitional questions) are valid but they do not take from the artistic value of your piece, technicalities can be fixed a vision you either have or don't have. Keep it up, I look forward to see your spots on prime time TV !

• 2 weeks later...

Alex you have a nice vision. Some of the arguments on here (i.e. regarding length and some transitional questions) are valid but they do not take from the artistic value of your piece, technicalities can be fixed a vision you either have or don't have. Keep it up, I look forward to see your spots on prime time TV !

Thanks for your kind words! Really appreciate it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK0lbP2HSss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKxvGQpLvOs

hi guys

i shot this two ad films in canon 5d

on camera b&w settings with orange on camera filter

pls feedback

Love your ads. These are very nicely done. I shoot a lot of long form marketing peices. Checkout some of my work here: http://www.skmediagroup.com . Maybe collaborate some time. Thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

I think it really needs to be edited by someone else. It is way too long, pacing and music edits scream amateur. The color transition doesn't work for me either. Some more subtle camera movement would have added value. Nice otherwise.

Collaborate; you can't and shouldn't do it all.

Looks fine to me. Aren't most commercials edited to be over a minute, and then trimmed from there? That's how we used to do it way back when.