DIRECT SOUND FILM AVAILABLE AGAIN

ignacio benedeti

Angel Caro, the owner of Revelado Reversible, the small format lab in Spain, gave me the first single-8 cartridge with Ektachrome 100 magnetic striped (in a fully dark room). I filmed this test with the direct sound camera Fuji Z850Sound. Full test report in the April issue of the british magazine International Movie Making. Thanks for looking! (sorry, the sound is only in Spanish)

Magnifico! I have been working the past few years on making Super 8 Sound film; experimenting with both Color and B&W Reversal. My one big project was trying to use the wonderful FOMAPAN R-100, but there are some difficulties, and the high cost. I have felt that the new EKTACHROME 100D should be a good replacement, and have bulk stock here to work on for this project. However, I'd be interested to know if he is willing to sell sound striped stock, as that would make things a lot easier for me. The film lubrication & cartridging and packaging alone is plenty. I figure the film which has some reduced contrast if rated at ISO 50 and is pulled in processing, could also be offered that way, allowing for easier use in bright light; in addition to ISO 100 and even ISO 200 (with push processing). --- Over the past 30 years, I've offered reloading of KODAK Super 8 into FUJI Single-8 cartridges, and also vice-versa, of FUJI's Single-8 into KODAK cartridges....usually it was Sound film. This was more so at the end of sound film, as FUJI kept making it for a year after KODAK ceased production of their now long missed Ektasound films. While those that would be interested in actually using Super 8 sound film is small, I feel there's still a market for it. Anyone that has ever shot single-system sound using any of the nice sound cameras out there can attest to good audio quality, even at 18fps. Anyhow, just thought I'd interject some of my own thoughts and praise for this new attempt. Kind regards, Martin Baumgarten

This is a remarkable achievement - something that users of acetate based film have been awaiting for 13 years since the abolition of the Ektasound Kodak film.

Several questions arise:

Is it intended that this ektachrome film be available commercially?

Is there a main stripe only or also a balance stripe?

Is the film to be supplied in Single 8 sound cartridges only or also in Single 8 silent cartridges?

Is it envisaged that pre-striped ektachrome might be loaded into super 8 cartridges (sound or silent)?

It would be great if pre-striped film become available again.

Robert

The film is striped on both tracks. The idea of Angel is to sell Single-8 and Super 8 sound film with processing enclosed. The trouble, now, is where to buy old Single-8 and Super 8 sound cartridges, to reload. Full report in next issues of International Movie Making and Schmallfilm. Thanks. CINEcerely, Ignacio

I would suggest contacting Dwayne's Photo Lab since they must have hundreds of empty Super 8 Sound cartridges, and to contact Retro-8 in Japan for Single-8 cartridges.

And do so soon. Dwayne's must have received 100's of them last december but you should expect that they will dump them. If they haven't already.