Canon remote controls interchangeable?

Andy Pabst

I want to buy a used Canon Auto Shoot 814 on Ebay, but I am going to need a remote control for it, to set up shots and stop and start without accidentally moving the camera. Are remotes interchangeable? It seems cameras with remotes on ebay go for much more than without.

thanks!

I want to buy a used Canon Auto Shoot 814 on Ebay, but I am going to need a remote control for it, to set up shots and stop and start without accidentally moving the camera. Are remotes interchangeable? It seems cameras with remotes on ebay go for much more than without.

thanks!

Hi Andy

There are two types of remote control: electronic and manual, both readily available in a decent camera store. Electronic version is a small pin (looks like a mini jack) and you simply press button to make contact. Mechanical version has a threaded tip which screws into the socket and when you press the button it pushes a long thin pin into the whole.

Re: the camera, I think you mean 814 Auto-Zoom. There are two models. Tapping into my memory (I don't have any in front of me) the older 814 AZ uses an electronic remote to run and a mechanical remote to shoot single frame. The later model 814 Autozoom Electronic (or simply "E") only uses a electronic remote.

Bottom line, all electronic remotes are interchanageable and all mechanical remotes are interchangeable and both are readily available. Tip: old microphnones, even if not working, can often act as an electronic remote and they tend to have long (up to 20 feet) of cable. An electronic remote you'll find in a store will likely have a very short (1 foot) cable. I collect old microphones to use as remotes.

Rick

Hi Andy

There are two types of remote control: electronic and manual, both readily available in a decent camera store. Electronic version is a small pin (looks like a mini jack) and you simply press button to make contact. Mechanical version has a threaded tip which screws into the socket and when you press the button it pushes a long thin pin into the whole.

Re: the camera, I think you mean 814 Auto-Zoom. There are two models. Tapping into my memory (I don't have any in front of me) the older 814 AZ uses an electronic remote to run and a mechanical remote to shoot single frame. The later model 814 Autozoom Electronic (or simply "E") only uses a electronic remote.

Bottom line, all electronic remotes are interchanageable and all mechanical remotes are interchangeable and both are readily available. Tip: old microphnones, even if not working, can often act as an electronic remote and they tend to have long (up to 20 feet) of cable. An electronic remote you'll find in a store will likely have a very short (1 foot) cable. I collect old microphones to use as remotes.

Rick

This is great news Rick! There are tons of thrift stores in my area, likely teeming with crappy old microphones with the 1/8" tip you're talking about. The Canon Auto Zoon 814E is the one i'm looking at right now, it's cheap, but no accessories. This makes a huge difference. Thanks!!

I'm guessing, you just use the on/off switch of the mic to control the remote?

I'm guessing, you just use the on/off switch of the mic to control the remote?

Yes. Some of the old mics have 2 pins and if it's not a sound camera (like 814E) there will only be one jack. In this case I believe you can simply cut off the smaller of the two pins so you can get it into the jack.

Rick