11 year old with the voice of an angel

Francis Gorman

• Premium Member

Children should not be taught "Bel Canto" style singing until much older. Since I truly believe vibrato is a defect that we have come to accept as beauty, I do not believe children should sound like this. We teach our children that there are things "adults" do that children should not, but in our art, we want our children to sound like 40 year old classically trained singers.

While I'm sure most people will find this "beautiful", I for one do not. And, Since I am pursuing a doctorate in the field, I think I have some authority to speak on the subject.

While I am a proponent of the "English School" sound, most, I find, In america like what they hear on the radio. Lissening to this child sing, I can tell that someone, most likely a idiot parent that wanted a star child has pushed this kid to learn a style of singing he is truly incapable of. I'm sorry this child has been forced into thinking he can do something, that WILL harm is voice later in life. I'm sorry that most of america will vote him to the top of american idiot idol, and I'm sorry that in about 10 years, this kid most likely will not ever sing a note again.

All I can say is that it is truly a shame. I'll continue to teach kids the way I know will produce decent, and healthy musicians. I'm also sorry people find this angelic.