How to get a job as a director....

Landon D. Parks

All the personal stuff aside here...

What it comes down to with Landon's question here really, is some serious soul searching.

You have to find what you're good at, what you are not so good at, what you can get good at, and what you will have a hard time getting good at. It will take some honest analysis and it will take a lot of time. You need to experiment and you, thank God, have a good amount of time now to do it.

A feature film is nothing you WANT to get involved in at 16 years old or even at 19 years old. Believe me, a third of the way into it you'll be violently shaking your head in agreement to this. The glam you envision won't be there, nor will the creative satisfaction. I doubt you'll even finish it. Think this way, an average film has 1000 cuts, which can be broken into about 500 shots, that's not including multiple takes (I have well over 3000 shots logged for my feature). That's just a starting thought of the enormity of the work you have to do, you have to get a few thousand shots in the can.

Paper (and computer memory) is very inexpensive, write and plan all you want. It's good mental exercise, just be sure you're focusing on things like story and storyboarding, not "What's the day rate for a Panavision Millenium and anamorphic glass?". Test yourself. If you can sit down and type up 100 pages of properly formatted script (yes, proper formatting should be one of the first things you learn), that's a good test of your self discipline. Then comes the next part, giving it for someone else to read and responding to their comments. How do you respond? Do you get hurt and defensive, or are you receptive? Another good test...

You should be free to dream, but realize that you have to be realistic about what you want to accomplish and when. If you're going to set up grandiose expecations now, you are setting yourself up for failure.

Finally, realize one thing. Filmmaking is about having SOMETHING TO SAY. What do you want to talk about to this world? What issues interest you? What can you entertain me with? It's not in the big budgets and the 35mm, it's not in the name actors and the special effects - although all of these things play a role in a film's image and profitability, what really matters is what its all about. Why all these characters are together, what is their conflict, their issues, who can we feel sorry for, who can we root for, who can we laugh with, or at, who can we channel our hatred towards?

It will take you time to figure out just exactly what is it that you have to say. That is really going to be the key to your motivation, and to the motivation of the people who will support you and believe in you and your work. That's what the camera and all the lights and people milling around a set are there for, and if you can get the right people to believe in what you have to say, these things will all come to you.

- G.

Edited by GeorgeSelinsky

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:blink: ... Ohhh my.

I will say right now that I met a foreign guy through a local film school contact who is looking for a director to direct his American production. I chatted on the phone with the Mr. Mostafa from Egypt. He has made a few Egyptian films, and says that he MAY be willing to give me a chance at the directors chair.

Although he did say he would have to run it by his investors, and he wants me to go out and make something and send it to him so he can see what I can do.

I will admit, he told me right over the phone that with his experience, I probably wouldn?t make a very good first movie (Sounds like people I already know B) , hint, hint.). But he said since it's a DV feature on pretty much no budget, that he MAY be willing to see what I can do.

Now, there is an awful lot of "Maybes" in there, and this is not sure bet I'll get the job, but still it's a start.

So, I'm going to be really busy for the next few months, so you may not hear much from me (Not that most of you care :rolleyes: ), but when I come back, I MAY have a completed feature to show you. Rather it will suck or not, I'll leave that up to your great people and the world to decide at that time.

Anyway, I know you guys are just trying help, and I thank you very much. But trying to turn me away from doing it isn?t going to work, because If I say I?m going to do something, I usually do it regardless of who says I can't.

But, thanks for the helpful advice guys, as always.

Until later folks....

P.S)

2nd Rule of Future Director/DP Club - NEVER let ANYONE get you down,

This is probably why I?m so stubborn, because I don?t let anyone put me down about anything. If I have my mind set on doing something, I'll find someway to get there, rather it takes me 50 years or not, we'll just see.

> #2: Go out and somehow make a $300,000 - $500,000 feature

Nobody will allow you to do this until you are at least 30, probably older. $300k is barely enough to make a 35mm feature anyway and "known" actors will cost you a hell of a lot more than two hundred grand extra.

I know plenty of directors under 30 that have directed films worth millions of buck, buck, bucks...

I know I was off on the $300k thing. Thats what one name actor will cost. more less a whole 35mm production. lets raise that to say, $900,000.00 (Yeah right).

This will not happen, because your first movie will be awful.

You know this how? From experiance viewing OTHER 16 year old's films? note the key word there "OTHER".

Even if you have the talent neither you nor anybody else can know that yet, and the likelihood is that you haven't (in fact, every post you make convinces me more and more that there's nobody less likely to make it in filmmaking, but that's your problem.)

I think that?s pretty rude actually. how do you know how talented I am? Have you seen anything I have done, or can do? You don't know me. And if your judging me from this message board, then don't, because in real life I?m nothing like I am on here.

> Then have the agents come to me wanting to represent me to get me meetings for > possibly more jobs?"

No, no, you're really not getting this, are you? You will not get an agent because your hypothetical movie, which you will never be able to produce, will be awful, because you almost certainly don't have the talent and very certainly don't have the experience or ability to do it.

Well see how well my "Hypothetical" movie or movies is when it's done. Don't judge a book by It's cover.

come back when you graduate high school, okay?

Ok, I'll be back in about 3 months.... see you then. ;)

Dont mean to be so rude, but If I sounded rude in any of these comments, its because the person Im replying to was rude.

• Premium Member

okay for what it's worth, Landon, here is my opinion.

First enthusiasm is very important, so keep it up. This way when all your initial projects dont turn out the way you want, you'll have the confidence to make another. To follow, however rude the comments seemed your first films will be poop, even if other people think they're alright you'll think they're poop. If you dont think your initial films are rubbish and unwatchable then your probably in the wrong line of work. You should be your harshest critic.

Second revise, learn, study. This applies to all the arts and all the cultures out there. This is the reason why so many young filmmakers get it wrong. My first directed films, from videos shot at your age through to film school, sucked for one major reason- I was naive both interlectually, emotionally and artistically.

Thirdly its a fact of life that to be given a large chunk of cheese to play with at a young age is excedingly difficult (and $300,000 does count as a large chunk of cheese). This is due to the fact that there are very few people under the age of thirty to have the maturity (in all senses) to be trusted with that kind of money. As an example my graduation film cost about $9000, which i begged and borrowed for, half way through production I started having panic attacks and at the begining of post i had to leave for two weeks suffering from exhaustion. This I found out later was not unusual. The pressure will get to you and investors know this.

What's the magic solution? There is none. Sorry about that. Film school may or may not be beneficial. Work experience certainly will be. Not only do you need to learn to direct, you need to learn people skills. These are not accessable to someone of your age. If they were you'd seem precosious and no one would want to work with you.

My advice is to develop all your film skills through shooting and studying. Get a video camera- any video camera not the latest and best. Get yourself a simple edit system. Watch lots of films (even ones with subtitles and old classics). Find yourself a real role model and work out why you like there films so much (when I was your age it was Luc Besson and I used to search London for copies of his films on VHS). Try and find a company that will let you work in your school holidays. Find a secondary proffesion in the film industry. The reason I learnt to edit was so that I could earn a living when I wasn't directing. Be VERY patient. If you can do a proper externally funded (not your trust fund or your dads mates from the golf club) feature by the time your thirty you are a young director and you will feel proud. In case your interested I'm thirty and hope to do a feature sometime in the next few years (and I've been hoping for that since I was sixteen although now it is not so unrealistic.)

If you want people to take you more seriously on this site then you need to come back with some more learned contributions, as mean as they may seem I dont think there is anyone here who doesn't want to see you do well. I personally think that it is always exciting that there are people your age who are enthusiastic. Go out and rent some interesting and diverse European and American cinema (find some classics prior to Star Wars) and chat about them on the forum. That might prove to people that you are taking your craft seriously. Wanting to be Christopher Columbus and making a harry potter movie just makes you seem interlectually and artistically stunted and I for one don't think we need anymore directors like that.

Peace,

Keith

Wise words keith.... Right now I need to go out and make something, I may have to shoot it on Digi8 Video and build me a cheap $100 dolly of some kind and hire local film students to do it for free, but I need to get that done.

Then send it to the Mr. Ahmed mostafa. And if that dont turn out (Which I doubt), then I'll just make more shorts and work my way up in the world.

I'll most certainly post my films here for you fine people to judge, however when I said before that I thought my first films would be great, I was not meaning "Perfect". Of course I wont love my first films, because there's always ways you can think that could have made it better.

But what I was refering to was sort of "Commercially Acceptable"Films, I may not like'em, but I would hope the audiance does.

Does any filmmaker ever really "Love" the films they make? I dont think so because theres always gonna be way to make it better that you didnt see while you where making it.

Anyway, we'll see what happends, and I'll keep you guys updated on my progress....

Until later,

Landon

Edited by Landon D. Parks

Why does everyone keep telling him his first film will suck?

What a load of condescending crap. You don't know that.

If he reads the right books, learns how to properly operate a camera, studies lighting in depth, camera angles, troubleshooting on set, film exposure and whatever else is needed -before- attempting his first film, why is he doomed to fail?

Besides, it's time for some of you out there to face the following facts:

1. Not everyone can afford to put themselves through film school. Not everyone needs to go to film school.

2. People are different. They work at different paces and produce different results.

3. It is logically impossible for you to assume Landon's first film will suck - you don't know him and have never seen his work.

4. As if people have never beaten the odds before! It's called talent. At the age of 10 Mozart will be better than most of us here will ever be in music.

I just don't buy it. If you do everything by the book and truly learn as much as you can before attempting to shoot, if you REALLY prepare yourself for the task at hand why should your first film suck? Granted, it may not be oscar worthy, but to say that you have no talent and that your first film will suck no matter what you do...

:rolleyes:

please.

that's just mean.

what will ultimately determine how your first film looks like is how much effort goes into really learning the art, how to light your scenes, proper and improper exposure, working with a team, maintaining a professional atitude throughout production, operating a camera, directing, screenwriting, blocking your scenes, lenses, lens filtration, color temperature, film stock, marketing....

sounds like it could easily take 15 years to learn all this stuff right?

wrong.

you can learn it in a year. it's up to you. find your own pace.

Guest Frank Gossimier

"Besides I earn six figures every year as a DP"

000,000,000.00$ / yr is nothing to write home about.

But if cinematography makes you feel less lonely, so be it. Just PLEASE stay away from films involving women and minorities.

(That's right Frank. It's those minorities...those... those ..women... Oh no! they're going to steal your job! OH NO Frank! Oh NO!)

By the way, do senior citizens get Christmas wellfare bonuses up in Canada (let me guess...French side?) ? You should check it out... that colonoscopy's gonna cost ya.

I'll respond to this in a few days, I've ordered my Stupid To English Dictionary.

BTW, when you earn six figures in a year then you can talk. Besides I see your math is as good as your syntax, "000,000,000.00$" is 100 million, not six figures. Actually to be more precise, "000,000,000.00$" is zero, since you didn't put a number at the start.

I honestly find it hard to believe that a high school gave you a diploma??? You are functionally illiterate and looks like you can't count either.

What on earth are you mumbling on about..... "Christmas welfare bonuses"??????????

Frank

PS: Of course you can't even spell "welfare", DUUUUUUUH!!!!! (One "L")

"I'll respond to this in a few days, I've ordered my Stupid To English Dictionary."

:rolleyes:

you ordered the wrong one... again!

that's English to Stupid, Frank...how many times do I have to remind you?

6 figure salary eh?

good for you. i hope all that money is making you really really happy. now you can finally stop being a DP!!! you've made it Frank!!! good for you!!!

(funny, i can't seem to find your name or any of your work @ IMDB... and no, Frank. don't bother looking me up. I'm still new.)

Hey Frank,

Never mind, man. I give up. Heh.

Who am I kidding? I'll probably be crawling back to you for cinematography-related info/advice one of these days...and I'm in no position to compromise any contact with people (internet or real-life) who, at the moment, know wayyyyy more about the art and practice of cinematography and have more experience in the field than I do.

(*TSM dangles a white flag in the air*)

My sincerest apologies.

:)

Heck, we should all be thankful we live in an era where free speach is encouraged and where we have the luxury of holding our own opinions.

Also, the internet can be pretty decieving. People aren't always themselves because they can afford not to be - but that shouldn't give anyone the right to attack someone else based on their beliefs, especially when in real life you know you'd probably respect that same person for just having the courage to speak up in the first place.

All arguments and personal differences aside, this is a d-mn good website and although it may not seem like it at times this is a d-mn good time to be alive.

• Premium Member

Oh, why do I bother:

> I know plenty of directors under 30 that have directed films worth millions of

> buck, buck, bucks...

Great, go and intern with them.

> This will not happen, because your first movie will be awful.

>> You know this how?

The same way I know if I jump off a building I won't fly.

> I think that?s pretty rude actually.

Great, I'm glad you think so.

> Have you seen anything I have done, or can do?

Oddly enough, the local Blockbuster have never heard of you. Please, direct me to the IMDB page listing your stellar experience. Post stills. Direct us to online video.

> in real life I?m nothing like I am on here.

And believe me, the world has something for which to be grateful there.

> Don't judge a book by It's cover.

Don't deflect inquiry with tired hyperbole.

Phil

Edited by Phil Rhodes

Alright, I think the bottom line is this. It seems, Landon, you just wanna go make that feature no matter what people tell you here.

If you're looking for encouragement here, we've been realistic and honest. We're not just going to say "Go kid! Yes, you can do it!". I don't think that would be fair to you.

I remember on the usenet one guy got 10,000 feet of 35mm film, an Eyemo, and wrote a script. He wanted people to encourage him - even though sober people like me told him it was a bad idea. So he went ahead and shot his feature on a 1:1 ratio.

The guy never got to understanding whether his film worked out or not though, because the 10,000 feet of 35mm film he got was all fogged - he had decided to get it all processed in one day and never even tested a single roll. Weeks of agony and work went down the tubes.

This is typical of the kind of mistakes people make when all they want to do is arrogantly proceed regardless of how rational or irrational their plan is. They loose scope of the bigger picture, just so they can say they "did it".

I'll never know what else that guy did wrong on his film, but I can imagine the fogged film probably saved him of the embarrasment of something completely unreleasable.

All the advice that I gave him and others went down the drain. We might as well have been typing the letter A on our keyboard for 20 minutes.

- G.

Guest Frank Gossimier

TSM,

"(funny, i can't seem to find your name or any of your work @ IMDB... and no, Frank. don't bother looking me up. I'm still new.)"

No you will not find me on IMDB as Frank Gossimier that is true.

IMDB also means nothing. There are tons of people with extensive credits not even listed in there. Who the hell knows how IMDB works? I've certainly never paid any attention to it, nor will any employers.

It's a bit like saying only ASC members do "high end work", then you turn on the TV and see lots of big shows where the DP does not have ASC after his name in the credits.

As for apologizing to me? No need at all I'm not Steven Spielberg, I can't make or break you in any way shape or form.

Frank

> This will not happen, because your first movie will be awful.

>> You know this how?

The same way I know if I jump off a building I won't fly.

Maybee you can fly? Have you ever tryed it? Go and try it now, then tell me the result. :huh:

> Have you seen anything I have done, or can do?

Oddly enough, the local Blockbuster have never heard of you. Please, direct me to the IMDB page listing your stellar experience. Post stills. Direct us to online video.

My local blockbuster has never heard of you either. When I d something, I'll post videos, stills, ect. I find it hard to post videos that I have not made yet.

> in real life I?m nothing like I am on here.

And believe me, the world has something for which to be grateful there.

Do you take pride in being as rude as you can? Because from my end thats the way it seems.

>Don't judge a book by its cover.

Don't deflect inquiry with tired hyperbole.

come again? :unsure:

Alright, I think the bottom line is this. It seems, Landon, you just wanna go make that feature no matter what people tell you here.

Exactly.... I'm sort of hopeing this Mr. Ahmed Mostafa will come through for me, So I dont have to go out and buy or rent equipment to make a movie with. But as of now, it's looking as if thats gonna go downhill. I just talked to him about an hour ago and he said his investors where not keen on putting $80,000 in the hands of a 16 year old kid.

Thats to bad though, I film like that could probably have gotten into sundance or cannes. The Script was just great.

If you're looking for encouragement here, we've been realistic and honest. We're not just going to say "Go kid! Yes, you can do it!". I don't think that would be fair to you.

I dont expect encouragement. My origional question was simply HOW the best way to get there is, not to tell me "I know you can do it".

I remember on the usenet one guy got 10,000 feet of 35mm film, an Eyemo, and wrote a script. He wanted people to encourage him - even though sober people like me told him it was a bad idea. So he went ahead and shot his feature on a 1:1 ratio.

The guy never got to understanding whether his film worked out or not though, because the 10,000 feet of 35mm film he got was all fogged - he had decided to get it all processed in one day and never even tested a single roll. Weeks of agony and work went down the tubes.

Well, this guy don't sound very smart in the first place. #1: Dont buy your film from priavet people, unless you know them, and #2: If you can only shoot 35mm on a 1:1 ratio then shoot HD on as much tape as $100 can afford. Or even DV, which would greatly extend his abilities to get it done. At least he would have been able to see his project!

but I can imagine the fogged film probably saved him of the embarrasment of something completely unreleasable.

Well never know will we? Maybee it was the next best thing. But since he shot it on film (And bought it from someone on a usenet group :blink: ), no one will ever know.

IMDB also means nothing. There are tons of people with extensive credits not even listed in there. Who the hell knows how IMDB works? I've certainly never paid any attention to it, nor will any employers.

I know this does not have anything to do with me, but I feel I need to pitch in. IMDB does mean something. Sure Spielberg or Bruckheimer Are'nt gonna find there next cinematographer there, but maybee some guy shooting a low budget $500,000 feature may.

There probably is'nt a day goes by I don't go to IMDB for something, as I'm sure a lot of people can make the same claim.

IMDB is really one of the web's well known "Film Info" place.

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

You know I hate to sound like an ass here Landon, but what experience do you currently have? Before going ahead with some large scale film, I'd do some smaller stuff. I know it's very tempting to go straight into the big time, but you could so easily trip and fall. I have worked on several shorts, and just from the experience I have learned so much more, stuff that NO textbook or forum will tell you. And I know if I went straight into a big film, those mistakes I made would cost me.

Just silly things in a way. For instance like how to act on set, because believe me unless you get stuck in, the other cast and crew will dominate you, director or not. I've learnt that when you first meet all the cast and crew, don't walk in with a "Hi" attitude, more like a "Hey guys hows it going, I'm Dan I'm operating the camera on this shoot". It's seriously like going to a new school and trying to make friends, and you?ll be sorry if you don't because for the rest of the shoot you?ll be bored as hell sitting in the corner on your own. And you?ll have one nasty experience.

If I were you I'd get involved in all the films I can, not necessarily making them, but just go along as a PA. Even if you hate the idea of being an unpaid PA, you'll get a lot more experience and it's all at the expense of someone else (As crude as that sounds) At least your not going to screw YOUR film up.

Put it this way, when I went along as a PA on my first ever film, I did the crappest job of it someone possibly could. Because I didn't know what do expect, I didn't know how to act, I wasn't confident because I'd never done it before. Now that I'm more experienced, if I was ever to go along as a PA ever again I'd know exactly what to do and I'd do a damn good job of it. But I only know what to do know because of past experiences. Now that my PA'ing days are over and I'm running as DP, I have a whole new area of film that I need to get experience in.

Read all the text books and posts on forums you like, you may think you know a lot about film but when you actually experience it, it's a whole different world. Like reading how to drive, and then actually driving.

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

And as for becoming a director:

Do as MANY films as you can, no matter what position, paid or unpaid. Build your CV and experience. Save up some money, rent out a beast of a camera and plan a days shoot to build up a good looking showreel.

By the time your 22, for a start people will start to trust you a lot more because you are older, and also by that age you will have a HUGE list of film credentials that people just can't argue with.

And as for IMDB:

I find IMDB a flashy place to keep your CV. I am trying to update mine now but they are taking ages about adding me.

Well, You may be right. I may be getting in over my head. Sure, I don't know how to act on a production. Exactly what is the first thing im to do when I walk on set? I dont know, I never done it before.

As of right now, I take no interest in small crew work. If ANYTHING I'll buy a small filmming package and just make my own free movies for a few years till I have films I can proudly put on my demo reel to send out.

I will not turn this feature offer down if it is offered to me, that is for sure. Because getting offered to direct a feature film, rather on DV or not, and rather good or poor, is something I have wanted to do since age 13. And being this close, I won't say no if I'm offered. It is likly however that I wont be offered the part, It's a long shot, but at least I would have meet someone who produced films, and maybee one day he WILL turn up a job for me.

I may be jumping in over my head, and chances are I am. The point is I would not be there first person to ever jump right into a feature from nothing. For example:

Pete Jones* Project Greenlights Stolen Summer. First time ANYTHING director, and he seem'ed to pull it off. He struggeled at first, you could tell, but soon after he caught on, and it worked.

Hopefully, I can be like this too. I wont know until I try.

Sure, I dont plan to just "Jump into a feature". Even If im offered the job, It'll be a while before production starts, probably several months. Acording to ahmed, he want to start filming by mid-Fall 2005.

This will give me time to work on my craft a bit, rather it will be enough or not, well see.

But I;m gonna stop, because Im getting my hopes up. I keep saying "Please offer it to me" and I know it wont happen, so Im just gonna stop talking about it before I go nuts.

Like reading how to drive, and then actually driving.

Actually, I never read how to drive. I just did it, and im yet to get a ticket or be in a wreck.

As to daniel, I didnt think you where an ass, I though your comment made perfect since.

Landon, be careful about people you meet out of the blue who want to do business with you. It sort of reminds me of the salesman on the street who pulls you into a store and says that "Just for you" he'll give you a huge discount.

Stupid younger me once ended up paying $45 for a 120 to 220 v converter that was "on sale" from its price of $78.00, which I later discovered was available mail order for under $20. The salesman (er, swindler) made me think I was getting a good deal.

You have to build relationships with people, get to know them, and they have to get to know you. It's a two way street.

Be wary of someone like this man who is talking to you so seriously. As a matter of fact I'd even be a little scared to get into a car with someone like that until I've had a chance to check some credentials. If he's abroad, he may just want to use you to get into America.

You SHOULD "take interest" in "small crew work". What do you think everyone else here did? No, it's not glamour getting coffee and tying up cables. But it's the one way you will get to actually see "how it's done" and learn by watching. As long as you keep yourself near the set (don't let them cram you into an office), you will get a good beneficial experience that will be of considerable help to you. You may not believe me now, but you will after you've gone through it.

If you show people that you can order lunch right and properly wind up an AC cord, they will start slowly trusting you with other tasks, and you'll get to try your hand at pulling focus, playing with lights, etc.

I'm certainly NOT going to let someone off the street who has nothing but enthusiasm get behind my Arri. Even if the camera is locked down, what if some actor's head pops out of frame by accident, or some other gaffe happens and I need to know "did it get into the shot?". A responsible operator will know about that right away, I won't even have to ask him or her. An inexperienced person most likely won't be thinking in that direction yet.

I'm even less likely to send off someone with zero directing experience to shoot second unit work. What makes you think some producer would even halfway seriously consider entrusting you to direct - especially when there are scores of people older than you who have more experience and are waiting for a chance?

DO go out there and PA, and don't you dare think it's beneath you!

Do go out there and get your hands on a camera, and HAVE FUN. This IS THE TIME to have fun! You have no idea what I'd give to be ten years younger again and get to make more short films. You and your friends are young, full of energy, and more willing to do crazy stuff and take chances. The best way to take advantage of that to the max is by making short films any way you can. The way to kill that is to try to make a feature film right now, or in the next two years even.

Do some fun stuff, then post it on the internet. See if you can build a local fan base. That will do a lot to help you on your way, believe me.

- G.

Edited by GeorgeSelinsky

Well, I will say this much. I contacted Ahmed today, and asked him for some references. He did provide me with several numbers, but I have yet to have time to call them.

As to the comment about other directors being more experienced and older than me, I asked him the first time we talked about that. He said he want?s someone new for this film.

He also told me that I?m not the only director being considered for the project. Which I didn?t doubt.

Anyway, He told me he wants to set up a meeting with me. He told me he would get back to me later today about him coming over here to have the meeting, after I told him I could not come to Egypt.

So apparently he has no trouble getting into the U.S. Which may be do to the fact that his son is in school here.

That is how I got to meet this Ahmed.

His son is a friend of my friend that is in school here. My friends name is Robert Strong, and we have been pales since, well a long time.

One night at a party, he gave Ahmed?s son, Fakhar Mostafa my name and phone number and told him how interested I was in directing a film. Fakhar apparently told Robert that his dad was a Producer. Robert told me, and asked me if I wanted him to give Fakhar my contact info to give to his dad. Of course I said yes.

So, weeks go by and I figure that somehow it just didn?t work out, so I forgot about it until a week ago, when Ahmed Mostafa called me, and alerted me to the current project.

So in a way, I did meet him through networking.

That?s how I got to where I?m at today.

But your probably right, it is more than likely a joke, or if its not a joke, I probably wont get it anyway, so It don?t matter.

I?ll update as I call some of the contacts he gave me. I also have plans to meet his son in a few days. I invited him to dinner. Maybe there I can get more out of him about his dad.

P. S.

What kind of name is Fakhar? :blink:

You SHOULD "take interest" in "small crew work". What do you think everyone else here did?

I'm not putting down the way others have gotten to where there at. However, I just dont think its the only way to get to the top.

Do go out there and get your hands on a camera, and HAVE FUN. This IS THE TIME to have fun!

My father always told me that if you don't make it in your industry by the time your 25, then you won't. This is something I take VERY seriously. I intend to make it by 25, if I have to beg and steal to get there.

I'm not putting down the way others have gotten to where there at. However, I just dont think its the only way to get to the top.

My father always told me that if you don't make it in your industry by the time your 25, then you won't. This is something I take VERY seriously. I intend to make it by 25, if I have to beg and steal to get there.

Sorry, different rules apply for different industries, even in the arts.

Ballet dancers have to be out there at an early age, it's too late for them to start when they're in their 20's. Same with musicians who want to attain a high level of professionalism. A lot of this has to do with the way your bone structure and reflexes develop. On the other hand opera singers can't really make it until they're in their late 30's, the voice is a different animal.

The problem is that the creative world is different from most other jobs out there. There are very few film directors who "made it" at 25, that is a very big exception and frankly so what if they did? MOST of the world's greatest and most popular film directors started much later. Some people who start too early get burnt out early, too.

If your father is going to pressure you to be famous by 25, he is setting you up for failure. One of my film teachers taught us a great thing, "You have to start thinking of your life not in terms of years, but in blocks of ten years." That is the reality of this business. If you don't like it and aren't willing to accept that, go into banking or real estate, you have bigger chances there.

What will get you success sooner than later is if you are committed to taking the right steps at the right time, if you learn to walk before learning to run. If I sit down now and without knowing so much as a single piano scale try to play the music of Franz Lizt, it will take me longer to become a pianist than if I have the patience to do things the right way.

Your father better be willing to accept these realities. This is not a predictable business with 9-5 hours, steady salary, and all these benefits like medical insurance. This is a "make it your own way" business, especially if you're a director/producer. You're in the same league as all entrepreneurs. It takes more faith to get there. Saying "I am going to be famous by X years" is the wrong way to go. The right way to go is "I will do whatever I need to become succesful, by applying myself the right way".

Everyone wants to "parachute in", nobody wants to get the coffee, everyone wants to be in the director's chair right away. That's the way it is with every job. You think a bank teller wants to be counting money? Most of them would rather sit in the branch manager's chair, only if they were allowed to do that the branch would go flat pretty fast. There's a reason for everything, and you'll succeed faster if you catch onto the natural rhythm of life and being diligent rather than insisting that you're special and the laws of gravity won't apply to you. It's setting yourself up for a rude awakening.

- G.

• Premium Member

Landon - you asked for advice, and now you are receiving a lifetime's worth of experience to which you turn a deaf ear. No one should want to rein in your enthusiasm, but they do want to arm you with some reality.

There is a thing in this business which I call "prematurely using a contact." If you have a great contact (perhaps this producer guy) but approach him before you are ready, you have used up your best chance to make a first impression. Unavoidable in this instance, but in the future, it will help you to be ready when a producer wants to throw some money your way - you'll be able to hand him your card with a URL of your work or put a dvd of your reel in his hand. Opportunities for creative people to meet money people are not everyday occurrences.

On a related note... I'm interested in the opinions that you need to make many films (25?) before you're ready to make a successful film. Do you mean as a director & dp? Do you think a first time director with an experienced DP/crew might be able to expedite the learning curve? I'm an experienced writer, but learning the filmmaker ropes.

Thank you,

theturnaround

• Premium Member

Hi,

> My father always told me that if you don't make it in your industry by the

> time your 25, then you won't

I think your father is entirely correct, but also realise this: it's practically impossible to make any headway in film until you're at least thirty, unless you're connected. You didn't go to any of the right parties growing up. Your father doesn't know any LA-based producers. Your name is not Coppola.

So yes, you're screwed. Sorry. That's the way it is. Just speaking from statistics, you will almost certainly never work professionally in feature filmmaking. Almost nobody who wants to ever does. Deal with it.

Phil

So yes, you're screwed. Sorry. That's the way it is. Just speaking from statistics, you will almost certainly never work professionally in feature filmmaking. Almost nobody who wants to ever does. Deal with it.

I'm sorry, There is no way any of you could possibly know how someone will do in the film industry. Statistics don't mean nothing, they are brooken every day.

Thats about like saying, well the last 5 horror films released got an F, so the next one will too. How could you possible know until you see the 6th film? Maybe it's the one that broke the mold? Maybee it got an A+? Who know. But I sure would'nt bet on any statistics... Or, mabe it got an F too?

I think just flat out saying "You won't make it, because the statistics show you wont" is not a very smart statement, Im sorry if that offends you.

I do want to be a professional director, but thats not what Im saying. Im saying I want to be able to make feature film, maybe not the next Spiderman, but at least be able to make some kind of feature films by the time im 25. not become famouse by 25, not be offered $200,000,000 jobs by 25. Just be well known enough to have at least one feature in theaters. And I don't think thats unreachable.

I tell you what... Lets stop fighting about if I'll make it or not, only time will tell that.

What I find hard to beleive, is that people see age as such a deciding factor.

Lets say your the producer. you only interview 6 directors, all in there 40's. one was me, All the other directors have completed 2 features and several shorts, there average film rating is C. I have completed 5 features and several shorts, My average film rating is B. Who would you come more like trusting with your money?

so please, lets just stop fighting about. One I make a movie, I'll load it here. then you can tell me it sucks. But I think it is kind of rude to tells someone there film will suck no matter what.