How to get a job as a director....

Landon D. Parks

I don't quite agree with Phil's approach here. Reread my posts, I say it all there.

Landon, you have to simply be more sober minded. Your ambition is there, but it's going to take patience to suceed. You are actually the one who is delimiting things with age here, saying that by 25 you want to have a feature in theaters, that possibly being the indirect result of parental pressure. You're trying to push this whole Doogie Howser scheme on yourself for no reason. Why not give a 14 year old a chance to drive? Why not get married at 17? It could work, right? But what's the point of racing the age limit, when the real goal should be to do well and succeed rather than to beat a record?

If you set as your goal to simply succeed rather than "succeed by the time I'm XX years old" you will be much better off. It doesn't mean you should slack off, on the contrary you aught to be applying yourself as best as your abilities allow, in the right places.

On one end, you are setting yourself up for failure by creating unrealistic goals, on the other hand you are not doing the work you need to be doing right now. I saw how you posted this entire digital intermediate scheme. When Dave, Dom, and others tried to point out your mistakes you started getting defensive. I see how you're answering other people's questions on this forum. It's really not your turn to be teaching now, it would make as much sense as if I started telling a seasoned DP here that Hawks suck for anamorphic photography when I didn't even try anamorphic myself. You're not using your time the best way - and it doesn't matter how old you are, only to say that the older you get, the less time you have to make mistakes and mismanage your life!

I realise you may get defensive reading this, but I hope you don't. Nobody wants to put you down here I think, everyone is spending the time here to help you. You can always reject our advice, of course, but that might be something you will really regret later.

- G.

Edited by GeorgeSelinsky

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see no need to get defensive. I see your point, just like I see the point's of th rest who have replyed here. I'm not saying you guys are wronge, because I dont wanna questions someone who has been in the industry longer than me. That would be stupid on my part.

I tell you what, We'll see how well I do on my first film when I get it done. Until then lets hold our "It will suck" Comments. It probably will, but if all I here is "It will suck", then what motivation do I have to make a good first film. I won't, I'll just be standing there saying "Well, since it'll suck anyway, why should I care how well I direct it?".

However, it maybe working for me that you think I wont make a good first film, because that will push me to make a good one to prove it to you guys.

I see how you're answering other people's questions on this forum.

Yes, I dont like to get involved in stuff I dont know about. But usually if I feel that I know the answer to someones question, why should I hold it back? Sure, a lot of times Im wronge, but theres always brilliant people like David Mullen, ect to come and correct me. Thats the good thing about forums, is that your not just settling on one person opinion on stuff. But sometimes Im right.

Edited by Landon D. Parks

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Well Landon all I can say is good luck with it. My advice is to do as many films in the meantime, DON'T let this big offer pass you, but get as much experience as you can before embarking on it, whilst you can.

From one arrogant teenager to the other, I seriously recommend working on small time productions, no matter WHAT position or size. I never saw the importance of it, but it's honestly the bread and butter of film experience. I mean you pointed out one director that went straight into film and made it big, but then again look at all the other famous directors. Steven Spielberg started making 8mm action movies with his friends. I can almost guarantee that without all that previous experience he had, he would not be the man he is today. I started out at 7 years old playing around with a black and white video camera creating action films with miniature sized toys. And you know what? It still came as useful experience.

Thing is, it's not just a case of "the film will suck", it's more a case of, "the films crap, won't sell, investors VERY unhappy and won't place ANY more money in the hands of the producer again" therefore losing you a valuable contact (the producer) and possibly giving you an infamous black mark for life.

To be honest a lot of people are saying age has nothing to do with it. Well, it does in ways. For a start Landon you are still young so you have PLENTY of time to get experience and film credentials, which is one advantage a lot of people around here don't have.

However, it maybe working for me that you think I wont make a good first film, because that will push me to make a good one to prove it to you guys.

Yeh, I think that must count for some of my motivation. Getting half the offensive comments I got, wow that just drove me mad and wanting to prove the bastards that I will become a better DP than them.

Although looking back they weren't offensive at all, now that I believe my arrogant stages are over I can see that they were perfectly correct ad that I was just being arrogant.

Take it or leave it. But ask ANYONE that works in film, they will tell you to work on as many projects before hand as possible, no matter what position. The one director who went straight into film probably didn't do it by choice, he got the opportunity and went for it, LUCKILY making a successful film. But you realise how horribly is could have gone wrong? Even HE won't recommend going straight into it, I'm sure he would quite happily tell you that starting off o smaller projects first is the best way to go.

Sometimes I feel I am being slightly arrogant in replying to this topic. But in this case, I know what I'm talking about because the same thing happened to me.

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

• Premium Member

landon, i wanted to be the greatest director in the world by the time i was 21. that didn't happen. nor 25. nor 30. maybe 40? maybe 50? maybe i'll get to make an okay feature. that's an acheivment. serioulsly though just watched 'good bye lennin' last night and it was fantastic it was the director's (wolfgang becker) second feature and he was 49, i believe, at the time. rent it and see if you think you could better it in the next thirty three years.

Keith

p.s. all good things come to those who wait.

"landon, i wanted to be the greatest director in the world by the time i was 21. that didn't happen. nor 25. nor 30. maybe 40? maybe 50? maybe i'll get to make an okay feature. that's an acheivment. serioulsly though just watched 'good bye lennin' last night and it was fantastic it was the director's (wolfgang becker) second feature and he was 49, i believe, at the time. rent it and see if you think you could better it in the next thirty three years.

Keith

p.s. all good things come to those who wait."

==================================================

Oh look, another disgruntled filmmaker handing out "great" advice.

(...me without a camera! :rolleyes: )

My mom's best friend is 43 and just started going to med school. Age has nothing to do with it. And that's why Landon or any other "kids" on this forum have a shot at greatness at our age... because it's more about WHY and HOW someone reaches the top, not when.

Let's face it. The more movies that come out, the harder it is to come up with something truly original. Look at the music industry. A good unique band is like a good unique idea for a film. And they're becoming rare. Audiences out there(notice I didn't say studios) are really CRAVING something new. A young, fresh mind interested in pursuing this medium should be ENCOURAGED. This is exacly what the industry needs too. Something new. Not the same OLD (key word - old)

hollywood formulas.

IMO, there's more "truth" in someone making it to the top at the age of 21 because they worked hard and had something interesting and original to say, than someone who finally somehow managed to drag themselves across the finish line at the age of 50 by playing by the rules.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that there isn't something humble and admirable about someone who really has taken that slow and strenuous 30 year journey to the peak of their creative capabilities, all I'm saying is that there are people out there that work at a faster pace.

"Good things come to those who wait"?

This isn't about spending over 30 years working the docks for a great retirement plan, this is about grabbing a camera and making a really good movie with a message that will either entertain, inspire or both. Age and money have absolutely nothing to do with it. If anything, experience does. And there are plenty of ol' farts out there with "experience" but without the drive or passion that some of us 'aspiring filmmaker's' (or "DP's without a camera or demo reel at the moment" :D ) have.

Instead of telling Landon why you're currently not at the top of YOUR game, maybe you should try to encourage him and listen to what he has to say. You're automatically assuming that he's doomed to fail because of his age and that's not fair. as if someone between the ages of 16-23 can't write, shoot or produce a da-n good movie! I just don't buy it!

I also noticed that your last name isn't Burton, Storaro, Mullen, Pytlak, Speilberg, nor are you listed on IMDB. how ironic. (no, don't bother looking me up...)

not trying to be mean, just fair...

"There's a reason for everything, and you'll succeed faster if you catch onto the natural rhythm of life and being diligent rather than insisting that you're special and the laws of gravity won't apply to you. It's setting yourself up for a rude awakening."

There is no such thing as a natural rhythm of life because "pace" tends to differ greatly between individuals.

and i disagree. insisting you're special, truly believing in yourself and having the kind of mindset where, in a way, you can sometimes "defy gravity" is what seperates the amateurs from the artists.

Do you really believe that the likes of Mozart, Neitzche, Beethoven, Led Zeppelin, Jim Morrison, Ed Wood, Jesus Christ and countless others, rose to 'success' on account of their humble, rule-following personas?

hell no. they're a bunch of freaking rebels. Mozart died a sick, penniless broken man in a mass grave without a coffin - but he is my cosmic influence and muse.

the whacky, unstable, self-destructive, "out there" artists, filmmakers and musicians have an edge over you "normies" out there.

while your lives may be more structured and comfortable - well, that's just it.

you're lives are structured and comfortable. There are doors in your mind you chose not to open. good for you.

IMHO, a work of true genious at its highest form is not something one creates knowingly but more of the consequences of being a human being with an inner voice that's louder than his/her voice of reason.

It's undeniably =brilliant= to the public because it is a very opinionated yet perfect mirror of reality.

And the greatest works of art are usually considered higher truths than the artists themselves.

The Bible comes to mind...

I find this kind of strange that people are saying age doesn't matter. I'm 16 myself, I know that I probably won't make it big until I'm a lot older, but in the meantime I will make as many films as I can, building up my experience and credentials.

And by the time I'm 22 I will have a s**t load of experience and credentials to show off. I find that time has a lot to do with it. People require time to make it big, they need time to make films and build up a CV.

A lot of people got into the film industry when they were in their mid-age. I am in my young age, so I have an advantage. I have plenty of time to polish my skills, make films e.t.c. That?s more than a lot of people have.

Landon, people can say you are doomed or whatever, but just know that you actually have a better chance than them.

"Landon, people can say you are doomed or whatever, but just know that you actually have a better chance than them."

I couldn't agree with you more.

That would definately explain all of the 'wonderful, helpful and encouraging' advice, from the older (and not necessarily more experienced) members of the board.

I mean yeah, it sucks being 23, broke, no camera, no connections - only 100% pure drive.

I hope you elders learned something valuable today and if you didn't - you're all a bunch of hypocrites, right?

Or do your "rules" not apply to you?

:D

"And by the time I'm 22 I will have a s**t load of experience and credentials to show off."

Good grief! This is one of the most hilarious statements I've seen on this forum!

Do you write comedy professionally?

I'd love to know what your consider to be these great credentials at 22?

Even the incredibly kind David Mullen would have a hard time digesting your ridiculous statement.

Richard.

PS: It appears you are 16 years old, so you can be forgiven, you just don't know any better.

PS: It appears you are 16 years old, so you can be forgiven, you just don't know any better.

------------------------------------------

Who are you?

------------------------------------------

""Even the incredibly kind David Mullen would have a hard time digesting your ridiculous statement.""

oh is that right? are you his agent? a friend of his? a relative? can you read his thoughts?

whatever 16 yr old you're regurgitating cliches to right now is probably sitting there laughing at you because brown-nosing at your age is about 1,000,000 times more ridiculous and pathetic than it is at our age.

""I'd love to know what your consider to be these great credentials at 22?""

Seriously... who are you, little guy?

I already have more respect for Landon, Daniel and the other "kids" on this board than I have for YOU. at least they have some balls, guts and passion. they talk passionately about thier hopes and dreams (which unlike yours, haven't been crushed yet) while all you do is be the sheep you are.

when i read their posts it reminds me of the FAIRNESS AND EQUALITY of art in its truest form. no "adult" like you will ever take that away from us because you feel the need to help US based on YOUR f'd up life, your egocentrical stupid and tiresome mistakes, your lack of taste and creativity and your INSATIABLE LUST for other people to feel bad so it'll make you look like "that older, wise experienced guy" you believe yourself to be..

I've never heard a Richard Boddington before. anyone else?

before money and fame get involved. where art is as real as LIFE, not just an abstract hobby (that's probably why your last name is Boddington and not Scorscese, Bergman, Kubrik etc...).

that's the reality we live in. we have to fight ignorant sheep like you every single day of the year, especially in this industry.

for example, why should someone our age have to go through HELL and back just to get a screenplay read, while it is a FACT that being older does NOT guarantee a better idea for a movie (and logically - how could it?!).

at the age of 10, Mozart had such talent that if you were to compare yourself to him (i bet you're afraid of your own shadow), you'd vow never to pick up a camera, a pair of drum sticks and a paintbrush without feeling helplessly inferior to him. and therein lies YOUR problem.

you're what we kids, artists and musicians call "THE MAN".

and at the end of the day, it is us "kids" who will get to live longer, see more of the future, see films you'll NEVER see, hear music you'll NEVER hear, maybe see world peace one day...

oh wait...let me guess...

you're going to Heaven, right?

Jesus Christ died for our sins, right?

Take a good look at yourself. Can you even begin to see your hypocracy?

Edited by TSM

:o lol, oh nooo... I see a huge fight coming on... I'm gonna sit this one out, k? I'm still recovering from my last fight with you guys... + I dont like to fight unless it's a requirement. I never know when I may need the help of one of your guys, so I dont wanna get on your bad side. I will say this though:

TSM has very good points....

Edited by Landon D. Parks

• Premium Member
All the advice that I gave him and others went down the drain. We might as well have been typing the letter A on our keyboard for 20 minutes.

- G.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

a

a

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

A

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

A

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

A

A

A

A

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Landon, if someone's out to hurt your feelings, belittle you or mock you with their silly sarcastic "disgruntled DP-isms" just ask to see some of their work. That makes them "suddenly" vanish into thin air.

here a little something I learned in high-school...fighting ignorance can be almost as ugly as ignorance itself...

but NEVER as ugly as the ignoramous.

;)

All the advice that I gave him and others went down the drain. We might as well have been typing the letter A on our keyboard for 20 minutes.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

-------------

FYI, good advice can be given out without having to resort to patronizing and mocking someone else to make yourself sound more intelligent before you even bother answering the damn question at hand...there's not a drop of professionalism in that -- not one. if anything that's just a "childish" as my posts.

who cares, at least i'm honest.

Edited by TSM

• Premium Member

All I can add to this confusing discussion is that ultimately, in the long run, what matters is what you accomplish, not how old you were when you accomplished it -- we don't still listen to Mozart's greatest symphonies today because we're cutting the guy slack for being young when he wrote them. All that matters is that they are great. The fact that he was young is mostly of historical interest. If he had lived longer, maybe we'd be talking about how great the symphonies he wrote in his middle-age were. I mean, the flipside to Mozart is Beethoven, who only wrote nine symphonies and his last and greatest was completed when he was in his mid forties.

Speaking as someone who is 42...

I was such a big sci-fi fan as a teenager (still am...) and read all the "making of" books of various movies (2001, Empire Strikes Back, etc.) thinking "I can direct one of those films!" and the more I shoot (almost my 30th feature coming up) and the more the budgets rise, the more I realize I had no clue back then as to how hard it is to make a decent big-budget movie and the logistics AND the politics behind it. Maybe ignorance is bliss; certainly I don't regret having those dreams because it drove me to study and learn filmmaking. But the more you learn, the more you know what you haven't learned YET.

All I can advise is to forget how old you are or will be, whatever, and just learn, learn, learn... until you die of old age hopefully. Because it never stops, so you should get started NOW. All you can do is try your hardest to improve your skills so that when opportunity knocks, whether you are 21 or 51, you will have some skills in place to tackle the job. Don't bother setting timetables to success because it's a waste of time.

"And by the time I'm 22 I will have a s**t load of experience and credentials to show off."

Good grief! This is one of the most hilarious statements I've seen on this forum!

Do you write comedy professionally?

I'd love to know what your consider to be these great credentials at 22?

Even the incredibly kind David Mullen would have a hard time digesting your ridiculous statement.

Richard.

Hello Richard nice to meet you. Well it appears you obviously can't write politely or give explanations for your profanities (let alone use proper grammar), but since as you are older and no doubt more experienced your excused, because you obviously don't know any better.

What exactly didn't you understand about my statement? I'll kindly explain it for you. Someone who is 16 or any other young age has a lot of time to go out making films, building up a lot of experience and credentials. Therefore by the time they are older, they will already have a great deal of experience and film credentials to show off in their CV; which will lead to bigger projects and the start off a great film career.

Surely someone of your "experienced" intellectual ability can understand that; If not I blame it on your jealousy.

David Mullen is always kind enough to make a *nice* statement, because he has made it. I mean, what does he have to prove? With films like "Northfork" e.t.c. people just can't argue. You just seem like a little man trying to act tough. Well argue as much as you want, I don't have much patience for people like you, since as you show no respect for younger generations. (i.e. the people who actually have a chance at making it)

Some people are receptive to advice, some are simply stubborn and arrogant, they believe no matter what they're right and that's that. It's not unusual for younger people to behave that way, I was like that myself sometimes.

It's almost like me coming on here and saying "I want to shoot an action film for widespread theatrical release, with major talent attached. I used a video camera a few times so I think my chops are together enough. My biggest dilemma thusfar is this - is it better to shoot it on regular 8mm Plus X reversal, or shoot it on 35mm color print stock using a handcranked DeVry camera? That's the only thing I can afford right now. My uncle owns a nice car mounted search light projector so light is not a problem. Thanks!"

Then when the expected replies come in, you start arguing. At that point people like me are faced with three options, 1) try to convince you to think more soberly, 2) give up and depending on how irritating you've been, give you a sharp reply, or 3) waste the time on telling you what to do, fully knowing this advice will be a waste of time because you probably won't get any further than the first step or so.

Be happy that people are going through the trouble of addressing you, even if they get a bit upset in the process.

Now really guys, don't waste our time here anymore trying to prove with words that you're right, you're not convincing us. Go out and SHOW US what you're made of and if you're a genious filmmaker at 16 reap the rewards. I still don't see, however, why you want to rush, unless you think it's gonna impress the chicks...

- G.

I dont wan't to impress the chicks... I wanna impress myself, my family, ect. But thats not the main reason. The main reason is this: I want to make great films, But great films require money, Getting money usually requires you to be a well known producer / Director... Hince my problem.

but yeah, Just wait to see how my film turns out.

The main reason is this: I want to make great films, But great films require money, Getting money usually requires you to be a well known producer / Director... Hince my problem..

WRONG.

Great films come from great scripts, which are turned into a film by artists who have the focus, experience, maturity, and patience to pull it off. The money is really secondary, and money likes to go where good ideas live.

- G.

Well, in general it takes money to make a good movie. While you may have the best screenplay in the world, chances are it will take money to pay for that car explosion or even simple things like get a crew that knows what there doing.

Are you willing to come and DP my feture for free? I doubt it.

Sure I can make a good movie with no money, but for it to be great, money needs to be put into it.